• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Various Bordeaux

futronic

A group of ten wine lovers got together the last Saturday in January for dinner. The Bordeaux flight was the first served, and was paired with a really lovely beef tenderloin.

1999 Chateau D’Armailhac

Crystal clear ruby red with slight browning on the rim. Fat legs. Aromas of wood, lead pencil, cherries, bramble, red fruit, violets. Medium-bodied with red fruits and berries; well-integrated tannins. Moderate finish, ~ 25-30s. 88 points. My #3 WOTF.

1994 Chateau L’Evangile

Medium-dark ruby red. Lots of fat, slow legs. Aromas of cedar, lead pencil, tobacco leaf, and cassis. Medium-full bodied. Cedar replays from nose. Cherries, earth, and red fruit also on the palate. Lingering finish with lead pencil and tobacco notes that goes on for minutes. Delicious! Drinking beautifully right now. 92 points, and my #1 WOTF.

1982 Chateau Palmer

Light-medium ruby red with oranging on the rim. Aromas of lead pencil, cedar, cherries, tobacco, garrigue. Medium-full bodied. Smooth wine, well-integrated tannins with red fruits, tobacco, and spice notes. Short finish, ~ 20-25 seconds. Drink now. 88 points. My #2 WOTF, the group’s #1 WOTF.

1999 Chateau Lynch-Bages

Medium-dark ruby red almost to rim. Lots of thin, slow legs. Aromas of red fruit, cedar, vanilla, plums, earth. Medium-full bodied with red fruit and spice. Long finish, ~ 45-50s with spice and garrigue notes. 87 points.

1975 Chateau Brane-Cantenac

Pale ruby/brown colour with browning rim. Aromas of cinnamon, cedar, red fruit, vanilla, mushrooms. Tannins completely gone. Faded a lot. Very earthy, well over the hill. Very short finish. 83 points.

1996 Chateau D’Ardennes

Medium-ruby red. Restrained nose of red fruit. Lots of cedar and red fruit on the palate. 30s finish, tastes a little flat. 86 points.