• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Manor

StInGeR

My wife and I are going to be back in NJ in late March and my in-laws have just asked if we'd like to goto The Manor in West Orange for an early anniversary dinner. I've checked out their website but has anyone been there lately and what are your thoughts on the place.

Cheers

Tom

I want food and I want it now

I have had very good dinners in The Manor's a la carte dining room. Do you have to stay in the Essex county area? There are other options such as Amanda's in Hoboken, Nicholas in Red Bank, Rat's in Hamilton and The Frog and the Peach in New Brunswick.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I have had very good dinners in The Manor's a la carte dining room. Do you have to stay in the Essex county area? There are other options such as Amanda's in Hoboken, Nicholas in Red Bank, Rat's in Hamilton and The Frog and the Peach in New Brunswick.

We'll actually be staying with the in-laws out in Sparta and it was their suggestion and their offer to pay for dinner :biggrin: To be honest being Australian (me), married to a NJ girl sort of limits my knowledge of NJ to The Caldwell's and the area around Sparta, however I know NYC better than my wife who worked there for 10 years :biggrin: SOOOOOOO any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards

Tom

PS Don't even bring county's into it otherwise I'll get really confused :biggrin:

I want food and I want it now

My husband and I had our anniversary dinner there last year. We have been faithful fans of the Manor for many years and the dinner we had there last year was AWFUL. The food was mediocre at best and the service was deplorable. The captain tried to make nice at the end of dinner when we had to go over and ask him for the check because the waiter ignored us. He offered to buy us a drink which we declined because we just wanted to get out of there. He told us to call him the next time we came in and he would send over a bottle of wine. Needless to say we have never been back.

For a beautiful dinner try Scalini Fedeli in Chatham.

Go to Zoe's By The Lake in Sparta if you can get a reservation.

We were in Australia/ New Zealand for a month last May. Can't wait to go back. We were as happy as Larry there.

Info on Zoes here. http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...=0entry198847

I agree with Rosie if your family lives in Sparta.

Go to Zoe's as it is close and the food is supposed to be quite good from all reports.

Phil Ward

I have never met a miserly wine lover