• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris King Machinist's Blend

Fresser

I'm a cycling nut from the Heartland as well as an avid coffe drinker. So I'm curious to know if anyone has tried this coffee: http://www.chrisking.com/store/coffee_beer..._directory.html

King Cycle Group (KCG) is a high-end cycling parts manufacturer in Portland, OR. Folks at KCG openly say that while they love to ride, they do so primarily so that they can enjoy more sweets, munchies and fine coffee drinks. So I have to wonder: is the Machinist's Blend any good?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

I have not tried their coffee but the description as dark roasted but smooth and low acid prompts me to think that it has a significant percentage of Sumatran or some similar Indonesian coffee, perhaps balanced by some Brazil beans (which are more neutral and also cheaper but can still be of very good quality).

That's all just wild-ass guessing - my real concern would simply be that if they're in Portland, getting coffee from a California roaster and then reselling it.... I'd be concerend about getitng optimal freshness. Fresh roasted coffee should be shipped on the day of roasting of possible. Allow three days for it to reach you and that leaves about one week maximum of optimal freshness, assuming that one stores it at room temp in a lightproof and airtight container.

Since Portland has entered into the discussion, I feel obliged to mention

Stumptown Roasters

Great microroaster and cafe operation and they ship on day of roasting. Their hairbender espresso blend is popular in many areas of the US with online espresso enthusiasts and they also do an excellent job with varietals.

Being in the Heartland, you could also get some fine coffees even faster from

Intelligentisia Coffee

They are in the Chicago area....