• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who's the Dad?

Craig Camp

This is an entirely serious question, Craig, if I can intrude on your wineknowledge...have the gene researchers of grape varieties found like the ancient varieties, where their locus originated, and what were like say Roman Empire or Moor origins? I know that people like the A.& M. sea research teams have retrieved wine residues from ancient wrecks, so I was wondering what you have found to be authenticated grape varieties from an ancient source? When you read the old literature, you come across all these famous ancient vintages, and I know there has been wine dna'd from Crete and Thera. I don't even know what I'm asking except can we trace a line to what kept Homer happy?