• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Al Dente - I done been tagged...

Al_Dente

How much do my blog readers know about beer?

I'm very, very good at trying many. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I believe your method of "having 3 just to be sure" is probably in the best interested of scientific research on the subject. :biggrin:

Hope the back feels better for the trip.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

are you actually bothering to continue reading this?

:sad:

Don't pout Al -- I'm sure heracidal was referring to HIS post, not your blog....we're all enjoying it. :biggrin:

Uh, yes I was referring to my post. It was my punchline, if you will.

Obviously, I am still reading this.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

How much do my blog readers know about beer? I had an unusual one last night-- a Spaten Bock. I thought Bocks were supposed to be dark, but this was amber, and a light amber at that. It was delicious though-- had 3 just to make sure  :wink:

Spaten Bock is gooood. On one happy evening a few years ago I was in Munich and managed to hit the Hofbrauhaus, the Spaten pub/restaurant and the Franziskaner pub/restaurant all in one evening. Spaten was definitely the best overall, followed closely by Franziskaner. The Hofbrauhaus was tourist central, but they did have good suckling pig.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Sorry for my sparse postings, my back got in the way earlier this week (it's much better today), and I was on the road to NYC and wandering around NYC today.

I've been following the burger club postings so my friend Jon and I went to Blue Smoke for lunch today. Had to order the burger of course. I really liked the onion brioche, and it was definitely a juicy hunk of beef. I would have preferred a bit more char on the outside and it seemed a bit over-molded rather than barely held together which I prefer. I thought the restaurant had an attractive open feel, and the service was pretty good.

We then wandered through China Town (we were a little lost). This was fortuitous as there were some Chinese New Year celebrations going on. I picked up a packet of those paper firecrackers you throw at the ground to scare the hell out of Jon's 16 month old sons when we got back. Of course they seemed entirely bored with the loud pops they made when we returned later.

Then we headed over towards TriBeCa. Jon wanted to go to DeNiro's joint, but it didn't open until 5, so we killed time at a couple of bars near by. When 5 rolled around we headed in to the TriBeCa Grill, but Bobby D wasn't there. We sat at the bar anyway, had some Riesling, a seared foie gras with braised short rib ravioli and wild mushrooms, and a cheese plate with Garrotxa (a hard goat's milk from Catalonia), Capri Log (a soft goat's milk this time from Massachusetts), Roomano (an aged gouda with a slight caramel like flavor), and one of my favorites, Roaring Forties Blue from Australia. We both really enjoyed the Roomano (and yes, that was how it was spelled).

Now I'm back in Jersey City babysitting the sleeping boys while Jon and his wife get some dinner. When they return, I'll probably head out for a bit. Maybe over to Hoboken. I've never been, so if you have a suggestion for a good bar near the PATH train in the next couple of hours, let me know.

:biggrin:

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

How long are you in the New York area? Glad your back is better!

Heading back around noon tomorrow. It is soooooooo freakin cold here. Yikes. Might head over to Hoboken for lunch somewhere.

-- A.B.

Maybe over to Hoboken. I've never been, so if you have a suggestion for a good bar near the PATH train in the next couple of hours, let me know.

you might try the Brass Rail, on Washington st (the main drag) and 2nd. about 3 blocks from the PATH. they have a decent selection of wines by the glass. big bar, people watching as there are windows all around.

website

for a less refined and more meat-marketish atmosphere, do walk across the street from the PATH to Texas-Arizona. website it'll probably be pretty dead during the mid afternoon on sunday. actually, most places will probably be pretty dead during that time. if it was 80 degrees out and summer, however, everything would be jumping and the outside tables would be filled with people sipping margaritas and people-watching.

next to texas-arizona is Oddfellow's, which has a coupla pool tables to pass the time.

out of those three, if food is in the mix, i'd only eat at the Brass Rail.

you could also get a bite at La Isla, which is a tiny, and well-regarded cuban place about 2 blocks from the path. it's on washington street just north of 1st i think (the numbered streets get higher as you get farther from the PATH). no drinks there, though. but then i'd be tempted to go the Brass Rail for a cocktail. la isla website

Edited by tommy (log)

Al, you'll be coming home to snow!!!!!!!!!!!

5-8 inches, which in DC means that the whole world could stop!!!!!!

Quick, get your tp, milk and bread. It might be a whole day before you can get out again :rolleyes:

I'm off to braise some short ribs Al_Dente style.......

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

So how was Hoboken? Anything good to eat there?

If you are looking for conversation, I'd love to hear what is in your red sauce. Everyone's is different. Ours seems to be getting bolder each time we make it. Due to the winter fresh tomatoes (bleh), we oven roasted whole canned tomatoes with a little EVOO and balsamic for the sauce this time. Not bad. Next time I'm going to roast the garlic too. Also went with a little hotter sausage.

Hope the back is better. Pain sucks.

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

I have tagged the next victim. The lucky winner is:

gsquared

I'll write a couple of closing things about my blog and my dinner at China 46 in NJ tonight.

Mike

-- A.B.

Al/Mike, :wink:

It's been a great week of reading. Thanks for fighting through the pain to deliver your blog. That's dedication. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com