• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek wines

Andre

Following RG's request I thought of adding a thread:

If I am to generalize, Greece falls into three categories:

Sweet wines: The best wines are made in Samos and Santorini islands mostly from sun-dried grapes such as the assyrtico. A large percentage of the sweet wines is exported in bulks to eother parts of Europe mainly from Crete and Samos islands.

Dry wines: The best reds are made from Aghiorghitiko [ St. George], Mavrodaphne and Xynomavro. Cabernet Sauvignon, cabernet franc, Grenache, merlot, Petit Syrah, Refosco, Sangiovese and Syrah are joining in from other parts of Europe. The whites are dominated by assyrtico, malvasia, muscat [ wite and Alexandria], Robola, Savatiano and the more famous Chardonnay, Grenache Blanc, Ugni Blanc, Sauvignan Blanc, Semillion and Viognier.

The third category is flavored wines such as the Retsina.

Young Greek winemakers used to study in France and their influence is quite apparent. In recent years many of them can be found in Davis and Adelade. The international influence is flowing in in an unstopable rate. Parts of Greece are still guarded by the taditional attitude of respecting the elders and their knowledge, and partly by government controlled co-ops [ such as the ones controlling the island of Samos].

Several recommendations:

Evangelos Gerovassiliou's Domaine Carras - havy Bordeaux influence.

Achia Clauss, namely their Chateau.

Boutari has a wide selection. try the Nemea and Naussa Grande Reserve, Xynomavro and Aghiorghitiko.

The Rose' wines of Emery.

Chateau Lazaridi, namely their Magiko Vouno and their chateau wines.

Ktima Kosta Lazaridi [ founded by Kostas after seperating from his elder brother Nikos of Chateau Lazaridi in 1992 both located in the region of Drama]. The Amethystos is amongst their best.

Chateau Pegasos by Mrkovitis.

Samos Nectar is alwaysn a favorite of mine amongst the sweet Greek wines.

Chatea Semeli f the semeli winery.

Wines of Santorini by Sigalas.

Skouras are doing constantly good job though I did not come across anthing exceptional.

Always keep in mind that most of us need to accommodate to the less than popular wines. Extra Chard. or Cabernet my turn the wine to be more familiar and therefore tasty but unfortunately also more common.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.