• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single Malts

anil

What a great idea! One that I would love (along with a fine cigar though). Seek out a bottle of Arberlour a'bunadh and some Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength. Both fill the mouth will lucious sweet flavors and at 60% abv each, they are wonderful on these very cold nights! (and will likely instantly kill any flu germs that might happen to be in your mouth!). Salud!

I just picked up a bottle of the a' bunadh. $69.00 in Vancouver. Not sure if this is a good price but, hell, I have no choice, I live where I live.

Nice nose. Lots of caramel and butterscotch. Dried oranges and some spice.A splash of water and it was soooooo smooth. I am a beginner as far as whisky goes so please excuse the incomplete notes.

I also picked up a Bowmore 12 year old.

Am I crazy or do I taste something which could also be called a bandaid?

Just wondering. I know there are some very knowledgable whisky folks out there. Help a brother out with this whisky tasting.

Cheers. "T"

Yep, that bandaid or iodine taste is present in many single malts, especially Islay malts. Bowmore's a highland malt, no?

I'll put another vote in for Lagavulin. Intense, smoky, with lots of "band-Aid" and very smooth. I also enjoy Glenmorangie for a more middle of the road Scotch. Their Port Wood finish is very nice.

I remember seeing a bottle of "Black Bowmore". I think it was about 30yrs old and literally black in color. Has anyone tried it? What's it like?

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting article concerning scotch (primarily single malts) that I thought some of you whisky wonks might be interested in. It also references an online tasting that will occur Sunday, March 14. The live tasting will occur at d.b.a. at 4 p.m. est. I suppose some of you New Yorkers who are interested in seeing what the deal is for the tasting could give them a call, as it is not very well explained in the article. Sounds like it could be fun.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

..... I suppose some of you New Yorkers who are interested in seeing what the deal is for the tasting could give them a call.....

Since the last posting - We have added three more bottles of Single malt to our list.

As mentioned in the Slate article, a Talisker in January, Stillmans Dram in Feburary and Strathisla last week. Thanks for reminding about this event.

IMG_0461-vi.jpg

anil

• 3 weeks later...
Also, if you can find it, try a bottle of Mortlach. Very fruity and spicy, like good fruitcake.

I heartily echo the Mortlach recommendation. I picked up a bottle of the 16 y.o. when I was in Scotland and regretably have now finished it.

If any of you are ever in Denver, there's a great British type pub here, called Pints, that has 100 or more single malts available. They do a great 'sampling' menu where you can get small tastes of quite a few different malts.

Brian

Brian Hoffmeyer

"It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black."