• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Single Malts

anil

For the past few years, we have been tasting once a month a different single malt - make our selection from the pages of Michael Jackson's book.

And then some of the empty boxes land up in my office as a reference for later :smile:

i1939.jpg

anil

Since you asked Here it is from left to right -

Knappouge Castle (no age), Isle of Jura (no age),Macallan (cask Strength, no age) ,Longmorn (15 years) ,Islay Signatory Vintage(no age) , Laphroaig(10 years), Glen Keith (cask strength) , Balblair (no age) ,The Balvanie (15 years) ,Glendronach (15 years) ,Glenfiddich (18 years) ,Glen Parker (Special Reserve), Old Pulteney (12 years), Glenfarclas 105 (cask strength) , Cragganmore (12 years),Highland Park (18 years), Anchentoshan (10 years) ,Springbank (21 years) ,Bunnahabhain (12 years),Cardhu (12 years), The Balvanie ( 12 years) , Laphroaig ( 10 years),Lisamore (12 years),Bowmore( darkest), Highland Park (12 years).

Edited by anil (log)

anil

You'd get along just fine with my hubby. He's got quite the collection as well, both full and empty :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Which Springbank? I splurged once on the 21 year old, and it was probably my single favorite single malt ever.

But Highland Park's awfully good too. And I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for Laphroaig -- when I first started drinking single malts, a wine and liquor shop near my apartment had it ridiculously underpriced, so I bought a bottle whenever I could afford it.

You should seek out Highland Park 12.  Most everyone I know, myself included, prefers it to the 18 year old.

I *love* Highland Park 12!!!!

Great collection anil! :cool:

I can never bring myself to toss away the well made box packaging or attractive bottle of a fine spirit. The memories.... :wink:

edited to add: snap another pic and post when those boxes top the credenza! Maybe a few tasting notes along the way, in your adventure, for those of us that may be hesitant to take the plunge with a whole bottle purchase or to whet the appetite to sample the next new after-work happy hour single malt.

Yum.

Edited by beans (log)

What a great idea! One that I would love (along with a fine cigar though). Seek out a bottle of Arberlour a'bunadh and some Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength. Both fill the mouth will lucious sweet flavors and at 60% abv each, they are wonderful on these very cold nights! (and will likely instantly kill any flu germs that might happen to be in your mouth!). Salud!

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Hubby just returned from a London/Brussels trip. He brought back a Fettercairn 12 yr single malt. Now this is not a scotch you will find in Canada!

Marlene

Try to find a bottle of Lagavullin 25 yr old......

Fantastic (but very potent...57 1/2% alcohol content). A litle goes a long way.

Where? Price? I live in NYC, but I will travel to pick it up, Lagavullin is my favourite. Please help me out on this one, never even heard of it before.

Where? Price? I live in NYC, but I will travel to pick it up, Lagavullin is my favourite. Please help me out on this one, never even heard of it before.

Try Park Ave. Liquors on Madison between 40th and 41st. They have an unbelievable single malt selection.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Try Park Ave. Liquors on Madison between 40th and 41st. They have an unbelievable single malt selection.

Park Avenue Liquor also delivers for free in the city. [OK atleast they deliver at 57th St. by me ] They do have a very good single malt inventory.

anil

What a great idea! One that I would love (along with a fine cigar though). Seek out a bottle of Arberlour a'bunadh and some Glenfarclas 105 Cask Strength. Both fill the mouth will lucious sweet flavors and at 60% abv each, they are wonderful on these very cold nights! (and will likely instantly kill any flu germs that might happen to be in your mouth!). Salud!

I just picked up a bottle of the a' bunadh. $69.00 in Vancouver. Not sure if this is a good price but, hell, I have no choice, I live where I live.

Nice nose. Lots of caramel and butterscotch. Dried oranges and some spice.A splash of water and it was soooooo smooth. I am a beginner as far as whisky goes so please excuse the incomplete notes.

I also picked up a Bowmore 12 year old.

Am I crazy or do I taste something which could also be called a bandaid?

Just wondering. I know there are some very knowledgable whisky folks out there. Help a brother out with this whisky tasting.

Cheers. "T"

slowfood/slowwine

I went to Sam's in Chicago this past weekend. What an absolutely amazing place! We need one of those in Ontario :smile: . Anyway, the scotch selection was amazing. I picked up a Peerless Strathisla 36 yr old for hubby. Very buttery, carmel notes and a smoky finish. He really really liked it :smile:

Marlene

Highly recommend the Macallan 18, but the 25 is to die for IMHO!!

Edited by Jake (log)

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

What a fun idea! If you ever make it to Scotland I would highly recommend the Quaich bar in the Craigellachie Hotel -- they have almost 500 different bottlings of single malts, each available by the dram (ranging in price from L2 to L250, and maybe even more).

I would highly recommend Glenmorangie -- it has some characteristics similar to the Balvenie, with a few more caramel notes. The specialty wood casks are especially good -- I've had both sherry and port. I've heard that Glenmorangie is the bestselling single malt in Scotland, while GlenLivet is the bestselling single malt in the U.S. and Glenfiddich is the best seller worldwide.

Also, if you can find it, try a bottle of Mortlach. Very fruity and spicy, like good fruitcake.