• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cabaret in Paris

Suzi Edwards

Not sure if anyone will know, but I was wondering if anyone can recommend a cabaret place in Paris. I've been told that the Lido and Moulin Rouge are dreadful these days, but I am keen to find something to do (other than eat) next week.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Would a club with live music do? There are loads of these-- those Tourist Traps around Pigalle are an absolute atrocity--

You can start with http://www.parispages.org for a comprehensive list of all activities and nightlife; The A-Z pages are also very useful-- their site is:

http://a-ztravelguides.com/world/europe/fr.../nightlife.html

Also, upon your arrival, check at a newsstand for the Pariscope newspaper-- it will have all the up to date happenings and venues. Whatever you do, stay away from Pigalle!!

Bon chance!!

Edited by menton1 (log)

I can't imagine a better thing to do in public than sit at a good table and eat good food all evening and the last thing I'd want is the distraction of a floor show. I assume you are looking for something to do after dinner. As for the Lido and Moulin Rouge being dreadful these days, have they changed that much that they are worse than they used to be? Do the people who used to like them, no longer like them? Was there ever a time that people who don't like them now, used to like them?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Bux: How about concerts, opera, theater, etc? Personally I wish that I had attended the full complete performance (5 hours) of Berlioz's "Les Troyens" recently performed in Paris

While none of those are better than a good dinner, I could imagine scheduling a fine lunch, a nice walk, aperatifs, a good concert, and a light supper afterwards as part of an almost perfect day. Maybe, at my age, a nap somewhere between lunch and the opera as well. :biggrin:

I am ruling out dinner theater, or any combination of a meal and performance at the same time.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

Hey in Paris dinner comes before the soft-core titty show - at both the Moulin Rouge and the Lido - there are priorities around here you know. And at the Lido the menus are "crafted in collaboration" with Paul Bocuse! The dinner package is actually a pretty good deal - only about 40 euros more than just the show alone. As for how they are, according to friends who've been to both - don't ask - the food's not bad, the shows can be fun if you're in the mood, and - as is often the case - drinks are expensive but help get you in - and stay in - the mood.

Bux, I have to strongly disagree that a great performance of Les Troyens is inferior to a good dinner!

Tarka, there are lots of places where you could hear live music. I remember going to a little bar on Rue Lepic not far from the Place de Clichy and hearing some nice jazz in the basement. It's too long ago for me to remember the name of the place, but that kind of thing would be a nice way to relax in the late evening.

Another thing that occurs to me - entirely unrelated - is that Tunisian musicians were playing on the Place de Chaillot every Sunday afternoon (or was it Saturday?) some years ago when I was staying in a hotel near the Ecole Militaire and the Champs de Mars. I doubt they'll be out in cold weather, but it was a lot of fun to have a picnic and listen to that lively music. One of them let me try his oboe-like instrument once (I forget the name of the thing).

Michael aka "Pan"

Bux, I have to strongly disagree that a great performance of Les Troyens is inferior to a good dinner!

I didn't say it was inferior, I just said it wasn't better--and of course, that's a very subjective statement.

Clearly the Moulin Rouge and a little jazz boite may appeal to very different people, although no doubt, there is someone who likes both and someone who likes neither. Paris also has it's share of dance clubs and the like.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Another type of venue you might consider is a jazz club. Parisians LOVE their jazz!! Some of the best musicians on either side of the Atlantic are here. The 3rd and the 4th Arr. probably have the most, but they are everywhere. Also you can find all the listings in Pariscope.

My condolences. We've had our share of getting sick in the middle of a trip and losing long planned dinners. I am convinced that no one has ever missed as anticipated a meal as I have due to illness, but we have never had to cut a trip short due to illness. The worst fate I've suffered was not getting home on schedule due to a missed flight and another time due to local strikes. Suffering through a strike that closed the airports and train stations wouldn't have been so bad, had the restaurants been permitted to remain open.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable