• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

CookBot

CookBot

Is anybody making a Bûche de Noël for the holidays this year, 2022?  I'd love to hear about any plans you have.

(I wasn't sure whether the protocol would be to resurrect this ten-year-old thread or start a new one.)

I'm making my cake roll this weekend (dacquoise) and the coffee flavored French buttercream filling, so that I can just assemble later this week.  Pretty much like this one I made last year:

BucheDeNoel.mine.2019.21.JPG

...except rather than just the ganache frosting, I think I'll create shards of chocolate "bark" for the final covering.

I went a little overboard with the meringue mushrooms last year, because I was so pleased to finally get them looking appropriately brownish (just dust with a pastry brush and a little cocoa).

Anyone else going the buche route for Christmas sweets?

CookBot

CookBot

Is anybody making a Bûche de Noël for the holidays this year, 2022?  I'd love to hear about any plans you have.

(I wasn't sure whether the protocol would be to resurrect this ten-year-old thread or start a new one.)

I'm making my cake roll this weekend (dacquoise) and planning to use a coffee flavored French buttercream filling, like this one I made last year:

BucheDeNoel.mine.2019.21.JPG