• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RACC and consumer consumption

I've read that 95% of consumers will eat 2x the RACC (reference amount customarily consumed), but can't find any data supporting that. Have any of you heard similiar numbers, and if so - don't suppose you'd have a reference validating those, would you 8-)

-Sebastian

Dear Sebastian,

Interesting question, but I believe it needs clarificaiton. What is the RACC? I can't find the acronym anywhere. And on the face of, the idea seems internally inconsistent. How can 95% of consumers eat twice the "customary" average?

I do have a new and revolutionary theory about why Americans eat more and more and more: The cheaper food gets, the more we eat. Why should eating violate the free market rules that apply nearly everywhere else? All I need to test this is to plot yearly caloric consumption against the retail price of 1000 calories of food that year. Or something like that.

Jeffrey