• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FASCINO

I don't believe it's where Saporito used to be - it's on Bloomfield Ave. one block up from Lackawanna Plaza, same side of the street - but i could be mistaken ...

Fascino is owned by a family from Nutley, the DePersios. Full disclosure - they are dear friends and my PR/marketing agency is helping them with their launch.

But just the facts - the mom, Cynthia, is a caterer, food writer & recipe developer (head of the Ladies' Home Journal test kitchen for years) and she's pastry chef. Son Ryan is 25 - he's the chef. Was in the kitchen at Jean Georges for the last two years; prior to that, JUdson Grill for three years. Also did stages in Italy and France. Other son, Anthony, left his job at Morgen Stanley and is GM (he worked in restaurants when he was younger).

They're doing - i believe - 15 or 20% discounting thru Saturday of this week; kind of a soft opening period. Call first and double-check, though.

This restaurant is between Diva and Lackawanna Plaza on the same side. The food is what I call "New American" and it was very good. My wife had red snapper on romaine and cherry tomatoes. I had salmon with artichokes and spinach. Both fish dishes were cooked perfectly, tasted fresh and were served hot. My only complaints, which can be solved, were that the air conditioning was underperforming and the tables for 2 were too close together (six inches apart). The people at the two tables next to us were lovely people and we enjoyed talking to them, but sometimes you want some privacy or you may be situated near a blabbermouth. Finally, the service was great and we were "comped" desert because of the A/C, I presume. A worthy successor to Blue Sky-- one door closes and another door opens.

The address is 331 Bloomfield Ave., Montclair, and the phone # is 973-233-0350. There's a maroon awning with the name "Fascino" on it. As scarlet knight said, it's between Lackawanna Plaza and Diva Lounge, same side of street (bordered by No. Willow, i believe).

Had dinner last night here - absolutely fabulous! For starters, my husband had the crab-stuffed zucchini flowers and I had the Castallane breast of veal pasta. They were both outstanding. For entrees, I had the olive crusted salmon with spinach & artichoke hearts & my husband had the scallops with corn & arugla. They were two of the best dishes we've ever had.

Desserts were also wonderful - the summer chocolate cake with hazlenut ice cream was lovely & the nectarine/cherry crostata was just perfect.

The service was great. I don't know what our server's name was (isn't that a treat in itself?), but he was terrific -- there, but not there...

Loved the atmosphere & music and the warm, personal attention by the DePersio family is really very special. Thanks to Ryan for fitting us in at the last minute.

All in all, a great addition to the NJ food scene. We can't wait to go back.

Terry

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Are they open on Mondays by any chance? I'm looking for someplace new to take my staff for our end-of-year dinner (I work at Montclair State, so our "year" ended in May), but our schedules only allow us to go on Monday or Wednesday....

Casey

Are they open on Mondays by any chance?  I'm looking for someplace new to take my staff for our end-of-year dinner (I work at Montclair State, so our "year" ended in May), but our schedules only allow us to go on Monday or Wednesday....

Casey

fascino said they were on the "Open on Monday" thread.

Edited by tommy (log)

Lowell and I recently dined at Fascino, 331 Bloomfield Ave, Montclair. This is a lovely restaurant with wood floors, airy see through drapes across the windows and some roomy booths against one wall. The restaurant has a chic look.

When seated we were brought an amuse of chopped olive spread on a slice of lightly toasted bread and a basket of crunchy bread and olive oil. We started with cornmeal crusted calamari with tomato-fennel compote; organic garden salad tossed with house vinaigrette; scungilli salad marinated in lemon and extra virgin olive oil and heirloom tomato and mozzarella di bufala salad. All were good but I thought the tomato/mozzarella salad was particularly worth ordering especially since tomatoes are in season. Entrees were very good. Lowell's fennel dusted pork tenderloin with broccolini and sour cherry sauce was a winner. I had a juicy sage and garlic roasted chicken with potato puree and summer squash. This was actually a large chicken breast off the bone and not a 1/2 roasted chicken that I expected. Friends devoured their pasta dishes which can be ordered as an appetizer or main course: hand made spaghettini with Manila clams and a parsley emulsion; and orrechiette with shrimp, artichokes, and roasted zucchini. We will go back here and am anxious to try the pasta and fish dishes.

We ooohed and ahhhed over dessert. Don't miss it. Everything we tasted was worth the calories. We had an outstanding cappuccino brulee that I didn't want to share with anyone! Also, the beautifully presented panna cotta came in three shot glasses with three different flavors (apricot almond, pomegranate, and white chocolate) and pistachio dusted tuiles on the side. Loved the crust and filling on the sweet crostata (a free form tart) that was filled with sour cherries and of course we also fought over the rich cannoli flavored cheesecake made with ricotta and mascarpone and studded with chopped bittersweet Perugina chocolate and flavored with a hint of orange and cinnamon. Coffee and cappuccino, both very good, finished the meal. The restaurant is BYO and we were given new glasses when we started on our second bottle. Service was attentive. For reservations call 973-233-0350.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We had an outstanding cappuccino brulee that I didn't want to share with anyone!

Yes, that was especially delicious!

We went this weekend and had arugula salad with shaved parmesan and warm portobello mushrooms (special), an excellent salmon tartare (special), striped bass that was pan fried, i think, and served on a bed of tomatoes (special), and cornmeal crusted sea scallops served with corn and spinach. Very nice atmosphere; friendly, attentive service.

Had a elegant dinner at Fascino, in Montclair last night.

From appitizers to dessert, everything was just delicious.

Met the Chef, Ryan, His brother Anthony, and his Mother

Cynthia, who is the Pastry Chef. A close & loving family.

They have only been open for two weeks...

wish they were here sooner.

We found the room to be very comfortable. Very relaxed.

It certainly will be one of our favorites.

They play a CD of a wonderful sax artist, would like

to know who the artist is.

Thank you Fascino, for a wonderful evening.

Thanks for the compliments...and the CD is actually my grandfather playing the sax. He was in a band for years before giving it up to become a general contractor. His Jazz feel is timeless and we have it in our CD player all the time.

• 3 weeks later...

We tried Fascino for the first time last night (Rosie was there too). All I can say is this place is definately the real deal. The interior was attractive, the service was good (though our server seemed a bit off of his game). The food stole the show. In NJ, the last thing we need is more Italian, more fried calamari, more Chicken parm....The menu was inventive and had something for everyone.

We started with Scungilli with lemon and olive oil and a special of salmon Tartare. Both were deliciously fresh and well made. The scungilli was tender and sweet, not too lemony. We then moved on to the main courses, which were even better. I had the olive crusted salmon, which was perfectly seared then topped with an olive mixture and crisped up. It was served with spinach and braised artichokes in what seemed like jus from the artichoke braise. Amy ordered the pork with cherry sauce, served with brocollini. I didnt try it, but judging by her empty plate, she enjoyed it. It certainly looked good....

Dessert were a plum and nectarine crostata, which was served warm and had a fantastic crust, and cannoli flavored cheesecake, with a chocolate crust. Terrific.

Dinner was made even better by the BYOB policy, which is great for wino's like us. One interesting twist they offer is to present diners who have not brought their own wine with lists from various wine stores in the vicinity. They call the shop, which then jogs the wine over to the restaurant (not sure if there is any charge for this)

Anyway, if you are as tired of the same Italian resaurants as we are, and are looking for a place to enjoy some of that wine you have been collecting, get over to Fascino TODAY!!

Anthony

Edited by adegiulio (log)

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Adegiulio---YOU were at Fascino, knew I was there and didn't come over to say hello?? : (

Luckily Lowell and I returned to Fascino, 331 Bloomfield Ave, Montclair last night because today the restaurant received a well deserved 3 1/2 stars from Cody Kendall. Get on the phone now and make a reservation.

We started with an amuse of chopped olive spread on a slice of lightly toasted bread and a basket of crunchy bread and olive oil. Appetizers were cornmeal crusted calamari with tomato-fennel compote; and mussels with a white wine and sweet onion sauce. The chef sent over scrumptious handmade ravioli filled with shredded beef and topped with Taleggio cheese for us to try. I will definitely have this if it is on the menu the next time I am at Fascino.

Lowell loved the fennel dusted pork tenderloin with broccolini and sour cherry sauce so much the last time we were at Fascino that he ordered it again. I had delicious polenta crusted sea scallops with Jersey corn and arugula coulis and friends had a special of sea bass over romaine and a roasted filet mignon which was declared to be outstanding.

Coffee, gelato, and a free-form plum and nectarine crostata (tart) topped with crème fraiche completed the meal Fascino is open for dinner 5 to 9:30 PM Monday through Thursday; 5 to 10:30 PM Friday and Saturday; BYO. For reservations call 973-233-0350.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

For years I have complained (right or wrong but my opinion) about supposedly better NJ restaurants and how badly they compare to NY restaurants and how my wife and I are almost always disappointed. Well, with new restaurants with such fine, well trained and innovative young chefs as Ryan at Fascino I am definitely changing my tune.

We went there on Thursday evening and had an exceptional meal. Except for a slight lapse in our server the dining experience was perfect, even getting a parking space directly across the street which I understand from previous posts is not an easy thing in Montclair plus a 45 min. car ride almost kept me from going there.

My wife had the Scungilli and I had a penne pasta with veal. Both very good. We then had the aforementioned Salmon and Scallops and both were as good as any we have ever had. The hazelnut ice cream was a perfect dessert as were the biscotti to accompany our coffee.

By the end of the evening we had met Ryan, his brother Anthony, their father and ofcourse their mother Cynthia who could easily pass as their sister. What a wonderful family running such a wonderful restaurtant. Parking problems or not we will certainly go back and have already recommended Fascino to family and friends.

P.S. Our meal with tip came to $92.00 plus $35.00 for a 90 Brunello I bought 7 years ago. Delicious.

Hank