• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Factory Farms

tryska

soemthing you said in the vegetarian thread sparked this question...

what's your take on factory farming and chicken, beef, veal, and pork?

do you mind it? accept it as it is? choose not to buy factory farmed meat?

Tryska,

I've written about this before, but it bears saying again. I am totally convinced by people who say, along with Morrissey, that meat is murder. I've seen the Sue Coe cartoons, I've watched the documentaries, I've read the exposes by PETA. What they do to animals is awful, a crime.

But I just can't stop eating meat. I just love it. If it walks, flies, crawls, moos, oinks, or baas, I want to eat it.

I prefer to think that my food has been humanely raised and killed, as with (say) kosher poultry or the biodynamic beef I get at the Union Square meatmarket. But that's all it is -- a preference. Ideally, you could scruple to your heart's content, and still keep hip-deep in steaks and chops. Save a thought for the poor animals, but stay the course at table: that is the counsel of Mr. Cutlets.

yours sincerely,

Mr. Cutlets

Mr-Cutlets.com: your source for advice, excerpts, Cutlets news, and links to buy Meat Me in Manhattan: A Carnivore's Guide to New York!

ha ha - to be honest with you, i'm not particularly concerned with the humanity of it all. Animals die so that we can have good sources of protein. i'm all about that.

My main issue tho, is the techniques in place these days to mass produce meat, and the fact that we're the top of the food chain, and the nutritional value, and taste, imo is going down. I'd rather not have a burger with a side of listeria and antibiotics.

so you did answer my question - i buy free-range, organic meat as well, and kosher and halal if the option is available.

i think after reading some of your other threads, i do have to disagree on grain vs grass fed tho, but mainly for nutrtional purposes.