• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trendy Atlanta?

tharrison

I'm moving to Midtown (from Pennsylvania) in a few weeks. I'm meeting an acquaintance for drinks/dinner. I asked her if she had any clue where she wanted to go.

This is what she requested: "I want us to go to a cute trendy place (thinking drinks/appetizers... dessert)."

Even though husband is originally from Atlanta, he didn't really look at food as more than just sustenance until after he moved away. Whenever we'd visit we'd stick to our old favorites (such as fat matt's and shipfeifers). I definitely wouldn't consider those trendy. Actually, this person instead of considering them charming probably would refuse to eat at them considering them "dirty" :rolleyes: (this probably gives you a better idea about what she is looking for). We also try to steer clear of "trendy" in general, this is why we have no clue where to go.

She wants trendy/lively. I want it to taste good (I figure that "trendy" and "good value" don't go hand in hand so I want it to taste at least as good as it should for the price). Where would you recommend to go that is both? I also don't mind going somewhere else for dessert/coffee. Any recommendations for that? If possible, no chains please.

I'll travel anywhere in the metro area, but I'm assuming all the "it" places will be in the Buckhead/Midtown-ish areas.

She's also made these plans for a Friday night... I'm prepared to wait as long as they have a good bar to wait around in :biggrin:

Thanks for your help!

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA

I really recommend the Floataway Cafe. It's in a converted warehouse near Emory University; the taxi driver had a bit of a hard time finding it. The warehouse has been converted into something very Soho-ish: the bricks left exposed, the ductwork painted silver. The ceiling is very high - warehouse-height - but beautiful off-white floaty curtains section off the dining areas. The food was very, very good, reasonably priced, and if I recall they had a very nice list of wines by the glass. There were lots of local regulars there and the conversation was animated and very upbeat. A very nice bar as well. I bet you'd really like this place!! The website is www.starprovisions.com and you click on Floataway Cafe. The menu is listed.

Based on your criteria, I agree with Missy. Floataway is an excellent choice.

Woodfire Grill on Cheshire Bridge, and Sotto Sotto in Inman Park also fit the bill, I think.

One wild card: Brasserie Le Coze (related to NYC's Le Bernardin), but it's in Lenox Square. Some people think that's fun, some don't. The food is good, the crowd is interesting -- and any cab driver will be able to find it.

Joel, Kyma and Aria are all in Buckhead (and all good), but miss on one or more criteria.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

One Midtown Kitchen is certainly trendy.  Good people watching, strong drinks, and pretty good (albeit pricey) food.  I went on my company's tab, and had a ball.

I'd forgotten about this one. I've never been, but mayapple's description is consistent with everything I've heard and read.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

All excellent choices, but heres how I see it.

One Midtown is super trendy with mediocre food. But it is inexpensive, very inexpensive.

Floataway rocks, but might not be ones definition of trendy.

Aria is a trendy design and vibe with expensive but soulful food. The food is not trendy, and is more of a meat and potatoes place.

Mid City Cuisine is trendy and great for the nipple and nosh sort of thing.

Halo is a good call, but more of a bar that serves food. As well BAzzaaR. A newly opened tapas place near the Fox theater is trendy and a great area of town to hang out and drink.

Good Luck.

WW2

Thanks for all of the recommendations!

I sent her links to all the menus and I'm letting her pick where she wants to go. I'll let you know what one we end up at.

Halo is like a block from my new place.

Has anyone here gone to MF Sushi? I've been craving great sushi (none is any good up here) and that place is pretty close to me. I'm wondering if it's any good or if I should not bother and just go to Soto (is it open again yet?).

"I like butter and the people who like butter." -TA

MF Sushi is a happy, sublime restaurant. I love it, and rate it higher than Soto, even. The sushi can be described as Inspired Classic, and the lush decor makes Soto feel downright clinical.

I highly recommend MF Sushi.

Soto is till closed at this point so MF may be the best sushi place in town.

And although I love MF, it's decor and ambience. The food at Soto is superior. The man is a genius and we shouldn't forget he was one of Food & Wines' best new chefs of 97 ?

But I think he even knows his dining room needed work, and so they are renovating.

For the MF sushi fans, of which I am one. Their new vietnamese place "Nam" is fantastic. You will taste things there you haven't anywhere.

nb

I'll second votes for MidCity Cuisine, Floataway, One Midtown Kitchen (with some reservations, as I've not been in a few months and there are some uneven reports), Woodfire Grill, and Sotto Sotto.

I'll add Fritti (sister restaurant to Sotto Sotto, less expensive but still stylish, thin crust pizza), Baraonda (the downtown end of midtown, thin crust pizza), Eno (downtown end of midtown), and Iris (east Atlanta, liquor license may be wine and beer only).

I've not been to Luxe yet, but it should be great given it's pedigree. Downtown in the old Mumbo Jumbo slot.

Can you pee in the ocean?

• 2 weeks later...