• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

lunch or dinner in Paris April 12-16

magnolia

If you're interested in a reservation for two at La Maison Blanche, the Pourcels' restaurant in Paris, on Saturday, April 13, at 8 pm, let me know. I am changing my plans and am going to cancel shortly, and can substitute your name. Note I dislike the Pourcels' food, but had contemplated a visit to see what the place is like. The view is supposed to be fairly good.  ;)

Cabrales, by when can I let you know? I have never been there & want to look it up tonight; I don't know anything about Pourcel(s) - am interested in your assessment, the good & the bad. I may take you up on it.

Also...and this may preclude my taking your kind offer...I was thinking of going out of Paris for an overnight (like Saturday night for example). Any gourmet destination suggestions within reasonable (i.e. one hour) distance of Paris; not requiring a car; or lots of major planning would also be most appreciated...

Cabrales, by when can I let you know? I have never been there & want to look it up tonight; I don't know anything about Pourcel(s) - am interested in your assessment, the good & the bad. I may take you up on it.

magnolia -- No particular time on Maison Blanche, except that we should leave several days for the restaurant to "resell" the table.

On the Pourcels, I might be in the minority in not liking their cuisine. Input, other members? Obviously, my preferences are subjective. If you like Gagnaire and Trama and like Provence/Mediterranean-type products, you might like the Pourcels' food.

On places outside of Paris for a one-nighter, there are so many possibilities. Places I like that I have visited during *same-day* journeys, based out of Paris, include: (1) Boyer Les Crayeres in Rheims (easy, less-than-2-hour direct train ride from Paris); and (2) J.M. Lorain in Joigny (another less-than-2-hour direct train ride).  In each case, one would have to take a quick (< 10 minute) taxi ride to the restaurant from the train station. (Consider prebooking for Lorain, as there are fewer taxis.)  For same-day journeys, lunch would presumably have to be the meal chosen.  Note there are lots of less expensive places to room in Rheims, although the rooms at Boyer are magnificient. The restaurant does not effectively require a room to facilitate the receipt of a table reservation.

My recommendation for a place outside of Paris is Troisgros, including for the rooms. This is a longer train ride, requiring a switch (at Lyons or another place) and entailing a stayover.   ;)  Many of the places in/around Lyons are accessible with an overnighter as well.

L'Astrance has bistro-level prices, but, for you, could it really be considered a bistro?

It was the only non-bistro part of my summer's eating in Paris and I had to include it -- it was magnifique!. To call the page "Twenty-Nine Paris Bistros and l'Astrance" would have sounded too much like Monty Python.  :D

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

For what it is worth, we have enjoyed our meals at Jardin des Sens, (their restaurant in Montpellier) but have not eaten there since it got three stars. Sent from Lyon--back in a few days with reports;

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Also give Marc Meneau's L"Esperance a consideration.

It is a pretty location and he has created some

fascinating dishes. I love the potatoes stuffed w.

caviar and cream and the lobster in the ancient vinegars.

Also, the town of Vezelay is medieval and charming.

Also, the town of Vezelay is medieval and charming.

It has a cathedral, for which midnight mass on Christmas eve has been a ritual and which is visited by many. However, there is no direct train to my knowledge from Lyons to Vezelay (if memory serves me correctly), like there is to Roanne. If you are driving, Vezelay is also slightly further, although along a route between Lyons and Paris.  :wink: