• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blend

tommy

Went there early evening yesterday for martini's and ceviche during their pre-grand opening . Unfortunately, I did not look at the wine list, however I did browse their menus. They had some interesting selections on their menu. Blend has a very different atmosphere than any other restaurant in Ridgewood. I look forward to going there again and trying their food.

since we seem to have a new thread on Blend here, some details:

website (this link skips theabsurdly long "intro")

17 Chestnut Street.

Ridgewood, NJ. 07450

t. 201.251.4343

f. 201.701.0377

and here's the old thread, where we had a nice time guessing what it was going to be and when it was going to open.

Edited by tommy (log)

All the drinks were very good. It may have helped that one of my friends knew one of the bartenders formerly from AB&G. My husband had a cadillac margarita, a friend had a dirty martini, and I had a mojito.

One of our favorite appetizers was the Smoked Salmon Tartar.

P.S. The bar that is in the front of Blend is non-smoking and they also have a bar and outdoor patio in the rear that allows smoking. It is nice that they allow you to have a choice.

They only served ceviche and raw bar selections yesterday so I was unable to try anything other. The overall experience I had was nice and service was certainly attentive, so I certainly would be willing to go back and try something off their regular menu.

Smoked Salmon Tartar

One of my favorite culinary misnomers....along with anything martini just because it's served in a martini glass :smile:

sounds like it might be sorta like Chakra

I've driven past Chakra numerous times...what kind of restaurant is it? And is it worth checking out?

I stopped into Blend while I was out and about in Town today...I checked out the menu. I thought it sounded more interesting than some other's I've seen around. Probably worth a date night with my wife...

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

Me and Amy tried Blend tonight. Our server told us tonight was their official "grand opening". Everyone was very cheerful when we entered (a little too rehearsed in my opinion, but it's their first night...). We were presented with menus and asked if we would like a drink. I was completely starved and wanted to go a little lighter on the alcohol scale, so I suggested wine. We were brought the wine list, which was disappointing to say the least. Lousy selection, average markup, but most importantly, NO VINTAGES LISTED. I absolutely hate it when restaurants don't list vintages on their wine list. There is a huge difference between at 99 Phelps Insignia and a 2000 Insignia. While I am sure I would prefer the 99, I can guarantee they are selling the 2000. To ask the server to check each and every bottle for the vintage borders on wine geekdom, and even though I am a geek, I don't like to prove that fact to everyone. I also don't trust managers that don't list vintages, its like they are trying to pull one over on me. So, I won't order wine off a list with no years listed. So, since this place seemed to have a cocktail vibe going, we decided to ask for a cocktail menu. The server politely strolled off to get one from the bar, only to realize they didn't have them yet. OK, is there a cocktail that they recommend. Mojitos!! OK, a Mojito sounded great, and at this point, I was ready to drink some vanilla extract, just to take the edge off a rough day. The drinks arrive rather quickly. They were pretty disappointing....hardly any lime, no perceptible rum. As an alcoholic in training, I was put off...

OK, no sweat, lets look at the menu and order some food. The hole in my stomach was growing larger with each minute...do they serve bread here? The menu was extremely weak, though it was presented quite attractively. I wasn't impressed at all with the selection, but we narrowed it down to Tuna Ceviche for Amy and a "South American" Ceviche for me, followed by Paella for Amy's main course and lamb chops for me. The ceviches arrived within minutes. They were both served in martini glasses, a touch that I don't particularly care for. It just makes for difficult eating, not to mention a rather inelegant angle of attack with a fork. To make matters worse, the glass wasn't placed on a plate, it was placed right on the table. Any drips or miscues and there was a mess on the table, not to mention there isn't any place to rest one's fork between bites or while using a napkin. Arrgh, its annoying. The ceviches were ok, not bad, but not good either.

Next were our main courses. Amy seemed to enjoy her paella, which seemed like average stuff. My lamb was ok, accompanied by decent horseradish mashed potatoes and my least favorite vegetable, julliene mixed veg. Not a fan of the julliene. Altogether, the mains were boring and uninspired.

We decided to cut our loss and skip dessert. The decor was cool, kind of South City Grill-ish. I can see the bar being a hot spot to hang out and drink. The bistro and dance club aren't open yet, though I think they will be by September. There are three places within 200 feet I would rather eat at, all of which are BYOB. The service, while friendly, was clearly not up to snuff, but that is to be expected on their first night. Heck, if the kitchen made half the effort that the front of the house made, they might have a shot. As is, however, I won't be going back unless I hear about some serious improvement (probably from Tommy :biggrin: )

I hate going to the same place over and over again, but there isn't anyone in Ridgewood that is even trying to compete with Village Green. Each time we go to another place in town, me and Amy always look at each other and say "We should have gone to Village Green"...Looks like we should just stick with a good thing. :smile:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

As you noted, there is quite a difference in the vintage prices of Insignia for 97's to 2001's. All which I must say are available. Interesting, although the WS rating of the 99 and 2000 are the same, 94-WS, there is a difference in how some places retail them. On such pricey wines, vintages are a mandatory requirement for me as well. Cheers!! :biggrin:

Bouquet du Vin

http://www.bouquetduvin.com

ameyer@bouquetduvin.com

Me and Amy tried Blend tonight.

yeah, thanks for the invite. :wink:

oh, and, it's good to see i was right about the place. :biggrin:

if it's competing with chakra, which i have a feeling it might, it doesn't have too tough a battle. see you at the village green.

yeah, thanks for the invite. :wink:

LOL, sorry, I'm just going to blame Amy for that. I did comment to her that a lot of the things I thought were wrong with this place, you also would be annoyed by. She thinks you and me have similar personalities when it comes to restaurant evaluation...Of course I am more handsome... :raz::biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Ciao,

Spoke to a friend last night who works on the line at Blend - she said it's been going well from a kitchen point of view - working about 14 hours per day and doing somewhere around 255 covers on Saturday night. I am totally unfamil. with ridgewood and its scene but she says it will turn out to be an OK place - still a bit unorganized in the kitchen but things are getting better.

On a more personal note - mentioned that no waitstaff is allowed in the kitchen - other than runners...i think that is really COOL!!! And no EATING - no staff meal at all for kitchen folk and waitstaff can purchase at 50% disc.

Ciao,

Ore

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

good god, my head is still spinning from the few hours i spent at Blend the other night. i don't know what to make of this place. it's enormous. there were more people there than in all of Ridgewood combined. bands were playing. people were dancing. some were eating. others were drinking. some were outside. and the basement part of it isn't even done yet.

didn't eat here and don't suspect i ever will. but that's quite a bar scene they have going. something tells me most dem folk weren't from ridgewood. and i have no idea where they all parked.

• 3 months later...
Diner: "This food looks like ass!"

Server: "Oh, but it's tasty."

Not terribly unlike the exchange I've had so many times with co-workers and the like when they tell me about a new restaurant they tried...

Them: OMG - that new ___ Steakhouse or ___ Factory restaurant is sooooo good!

Me: So - how is the food?

Them: The portions are HUGE!

Me: Yeah.... but how is the food?

Them: Well they give you a lot - you'll have plenty to take home as leftovers.

Me: Okay - I get it. But is the food really good?

Them: Oh. Uhhhh... it's okay.