• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bombay Club

Beachfan

Beachfan--I haven't been back since Sudhir Seth left, and I felt even then that Sudhir was talented but was being held back--better to please a power, conservative and unaware clientele.  That the restaurant was the problem, not the chef. On my last visit I was with a few Indian restaurateurs from New York and our meal there was nothing special, service spotty, very pricy for standard-issue stuff--and except for a few special things that Sudhir did for us once he recognized someone in my party--which were quite good--the experience was mediocre. (At the time, the ownership group was considering bringing Sudhir to New York to cook.)

When were you last there?  Pre- or post-Sudhir?

Have you been to Heritage India in Glover Park?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Sorry to confuse Beachfan--Sudhir left Bombay Club a little over 2 years ago to open Heritage India as chef and co-owner and it is located on Wisconsin Ave. in a neighborhood of Northwest DC called Glover Park--north of Georgetown.  I lived in Glover Park for 10 years--so I got to know that area well, eating often at Faccia Luna and Rocklands.  Heritage India took over the space of Germaine's restaurant, above Faccia Luna and there also was a charming, elegant classic French restaurant called Le Caprice, in a little townhouse next door.

On my two visits to Heritage, I found the wine list uninspired and poorly thought out, the service slow and awkward and the prices high, but Sudhir's food was excellent.

Tom Sietsema mentioned in the Post last week that Heritage India had opened a second location on Cordell Ave. in Bethesda--and included a revealing comment--that because of the intense restaurant competition in the Bethesda area, prices at the new branch will be lower.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Had dinner at The Club last night and had some of the best shrimp I've ever eaten and a Chicken Korma that was completely inedible. Still a lovely room, though, and excellent service all around.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.