• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Under the Radar

rpdkpd

We will be spending the last 10 days of November in Paris. Having gone relatively high end in February (see my earlier post for the report), we would like to explore some bistros/new emerging restaurants. We are staying in an apartment next to the Sorbonne, so 5th/6th (walking distance) would be preferred. Has anyone had recent experience with:

-- Le Pre Verre (5th, Maubert Mutualite)

-- L'Estrapade (5th, Cardinal-Lemoine)

-- Le Cosi (5th, Cluny-la-Sorbonne)

Also, we're going to try Cafe Constant (7th, Ecole Militaire).

Finally, I have heard a report about a new resto in Neuilly. Any leads? This would be for dinner with elderly parents who live in Neuilly, so ambiance is a factor.

Thanks!

for a satisfying experience, go to "le relais chablisien", not far from la samaritaine, meters from the Seine. Excellent wine selection by the glass focusing on Burgundy, typical bourguignonne cuisine. A great bistro ! The owner, Christian, and his wife really know what they're talking about.

About 20-30 euros per person.

Also, "L'avant-gout", rue Bobillot, not far from Place d'Italie. Good moderne bistro, revisiting french classics.

Enjoy !

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

Le Pre Verre has been described to me as "very simple new-style" and as "a sweet place for lunch." We didn't, and won't get there before we leave. In fact we won't get to to do much of what we intended to do, but that's life.

As we've been eating mostly bistro style food at rather affordable and even low end prices, let me recommend both Fish and Aux Lyonnais, although neither of these could exactly be said to be flying under the radar. They both deserved the praise they've been getting. Reservations are higly recommended at both, although we were able to get them the afternoon of our dinner at Fish. Aux Lyonnais was planned from New York and reserved a few weeks in advance. Aux Lyonnais has an unbelievable 28 euro menu, although I can't report on the value as we ordered a la carte. A typical a la carte bill might be 40-42 euros more or less depending on exactly what you ordered. Beverages not included, of course.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I have heard good things about all of the restaurants you mention, but have only eaten at Cafe Constant.

I actually went to meet a friend at the Pre Verre last Monday night, but it is now closed on Mondays and so we went elsewhere. I am hoping to go soon as I have read and heard many good things about it.

Both L'Estrapade and Le Pre Verre were written up in the Figaroscope recently and you can find the reviews on line I believe( en francais, bien sur). It's from the September 24th edition. Both are listed as great for the quality/price and sound worth checking out.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

A really good adress is "le Baratin", rue Joye-Rouve, in the 18th, quartier Belleville. Great wine bar, good french bistro food with a twist (joue de veau braisee a l'orange, pave de cabillaud poele...). Great atmosphere, very french, very parisian. Open at lunch for a great bargain during the week + every night - sunday and monday closed. Think about booking before showing up. It's a small and busy place. It's well worth it, they have a wonderful small wine list by the glass, as well as hidden treasures in the cave downstairs.

Please dont spread this information further, as they're already packed all the time !

Damn, i miss those bistros ! Nothing really compares, down here in Vancouver... :hmmm:

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

• 1 month later...

You are right about Le Baratin.

We went there a couple of weeks ago for a late lunch, no reservation, got the last table for two near the bar right in the middle of the hubbub, ordered the prix fixe (12.50E for entree, plat + dessert) and a demi of Cote d'Auvergne off the big chalkboard, relaxed and soaked in the friendly ambience. I had the feeling we were in someone's warm kitchen, people coming and going (regulars at the bar taking their glasses of wine outside to examine the colour in the natural light), the smell of Gauloises in the air...

We knew we were in the right neighbourhood when we exited the Pyrenees metro station, turned the corner and saw the Eiffel Tower in the distance framed by the buildings on each side of the street curving down toward Jouye-Rouve. The 7th arrondissement was a world away.

The food was better at Chez Catherine, where we went the night before, but we had a lot more fun at Le Baratin, at a fraction of the price.

The food was better at Chez Catherine, where we went the night before, but we had a lot more fun at Le Baratin, at a fraction of the price.

I used to think it was all about the food. Of late I have come to feel that it is the overall impression of the evening that you will remember longer. Of course, there are always those startlingly good plates that come to mind, but they are so much better when they are part-and-parcel of a cossetting meal in an honest dining room.

eGullet member #80.