• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

I've been using this pop over recipe for several years now and have never had a failure.  I make them in a six cup oversized muffin tin. I just mix the batter by hand with a whisk. I have made them 30 minutes ahead of time and just before I put them in the oven and I haven't seen any difference in the rise. If you have an oven with a glass door, you may think that these are getting too brown but be sure and leave them in the full 30 minutes. One trick that I have found that I like is that popovers can be reheated successfully in an air fryer. They taste just as good as they do when they come out of the oven.

Easy Crusty Popovers

Yield: 6 popovers

These are the closest things to foolproof that I have ever made. Just follow a few simple rules.

DO NOT open the oven until done!

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted - divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Put 6-cup muffin tin in oven to preheat as well.

Beat eggs and milk together in a bowl with an electric hand mixer or with a wire whisk until thoroughly mixed. Add flour and salt; continue beating into smooth batter. This can be made up to an hour beforehand. Pour into a measuring pitcher.

Put about 3/4 teaspoon butter into each muffin tin and carefully spread butter up sides of each cup. Quickly divide batter among prepared cups.

Bake until popovers are risen well and browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Do not open the oven during baking.

Popovers.thumb.jpg.2d63f3ba6a7ca056806c5c6f2de74113.jpg

Tropicalsenior

Tropicalsenior

I've been using this pop over recipe for several years now and have never had a failure.  I make them in a six cup oversized muffin tin. I just mix the batter by hand with a whisk. I have made them 30 minutes ahead of time and just before I put them in the oven and I haven't seen any difference in the rise. If you have an oven with a glass door, you may think that these are getting too brown but be sure and leave them in the full 30 minutes. One trick that I have found that I like is that popovers can be reheated successfully in an air fryer. They taste just as good as they do when they come out of the oven.

Easy Crusty Popovers

Yield: 6 popovers

These are the closest things to foolproof that I have ever made. Just follow a few simple rules.

DO NOT open the oven until done!

2 eggs

1/2 cup milk

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 tablespoon butter, melted - divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Put 6-cup muffin tin in oven to preheat as well.

Beat eggs and milk together in a bowl with an electric hand mixer or with a wire whisk until thoroughly mixed. Add flour and salt; continue beating into smooth batter. This can be made up to an hour beforehand. Pour into a measuring pitcher.

Put about 3/4 teaspoon butter into each muffin tin and carefully spread butter up sides of each cup. Quickly divide batter among prepared cups.

Bake until popovers are risen well and browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Do not open the oven during baking.