• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

washingtonpost.com Readers Choice

vengroff

The readers of washingtonpost.com have spoken. And here is what they had to say.

As is usual with these things, there is a disclaimer: "A non-scientific tally of washingtonpost.com readers. Results do not represent the opinions of editors of washingtonpost.com or The Washington Post." They may or may not represent the opinions of eGulleteers. Here's your chance to weight in.

Some interesting highlights: neither Laboratorio nor Maestro appear in the top 10 Italian; Kinkead's is number one for seafood; and, of course, the Cheesecake Factory is #1 for comfort food. Tryst edges out Starbucks for best coffee. My beloved Murky didn't make the top 10.

There's no category for French (or is that Freedom?) or for American, which I guess is what comfort food is supposed to cover. All Asian is lumped together in one category.

Any other thoughts or comments on the lists?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

I was just looking through the list myself and can't begin to figure out where to start complaining.

Maggiano's as best Italian is certainly a good place to start. They weren't awarding points for gross tonnage of food served on each plate - were they?

I guess it shows how much eGullet thinking has gotten in my brain that I didn't even think of Lauriol Plaza as being "Latin American" - much less the best of the best.

I must admit that I am surprised and a little pleased that Red Lobster didn't place on the seafood list.

Bill Russell

I guess it shows how much eGullet thinking has gotten in my brain that I didn't even think of Lauriol Plaza as being "Latin American" - much less the best of the best.

Why does that place stay that busy? I went once and it was the most underwhelming meal I've had in this city I think.

At least Outback steakhouse made the top 10 steak places. That at least makes this process semi-legit.

Firefly Restaurant

Washington, DC

Not the body of a man from earth, not the face of the one you love

I actually think that places like Lauriol Plaza stay busy because they are busy. If you look at it as a place to go to "see and be seen" then you want a place that is bursting with people.

If you want really good food, that's probably not what you are looking for.

Bill Russell

At the owners' request, Jaleo, a Spanish restaurant, was removed from the top 10 nominees in this category during the voting phase of Best Bets 2003: Readers' Choice.

This from the Latin American category, in which Cafe Atlantico took second place.

Did any of you vote in the polls? FWIW, I thought the top 10 vegetarian were more or less spot-on, though I'd shift the order in which they appear around a little. But then there aren't many more vegetarian (or vegetarian-friendly, like Lebanese Taverna) restaurants in and around DC than the 10 listed.

It did seem like the Vegetarian selections were better. But that is probably because the vegetarians are more focused on their food than the general public.

And don't anyone get mad at me for saying that they are probably a little pickier.

Bill Russell

Man ... don't forums like this exist so people can flee the idiocy of these types of "reader polls?"

With typical train-wreck mentality, I glanced at the "Best Wine Store" category, and noticed that Total Beverage was voted #2. Trader Joe's was #4 and MacArthur, incredibly, wasn't even in the top 10.

I guess by even commenting on it, I'm "part of the problem." Ah, well ...

At the owners' request, Jaleo, a Spanish restaurant, was removed from the top 10 nominees in this category during the voting phase of Best Bets 2003: Readers' Choice.

This from the Latin American category, in which Cafe Atlantico took second place.

Notice that in that category there are only nine on the list. This seems to imply that the Post chose the ten entries in each category and that the voters merely ordered them. Anyone have any further details?

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

From the Post website:

"washingtonpost.com's Best Bets 2003 invites readers to nominate and vote for their favorite area establishments. Readers nominate their favorite local spots - from the area's best place for a first date to the best kid-friendly restaurant. washingtonpost.com readers determine the nominees in each of 50 categories encompassing bars and clubs, city life, shopping and restaurants. Once the nominations are tabulated, readers are asked to vote on the top 10 nominees in each category. "

Bill Russell

It's always the same problem with restaurant reader polls: readers aren't necessarily foodies, nor to they eat out enough to make critical assessments every year.

Kikead's? The Cheesecake Factory? Geez.

Bruce

In spite of the definite risk of being lumped in with the "unwashed masses" I have to ask the question: what is so bad about the Cheesecake Factory? I've eaten at a few different locations and while the food didn't seem especially inspired, I certainly couldn't find anything to complain about.

Opinions?

I think the Cheesecake Factory's problems are twofold.

The first is the interminable waits that, according to an employee on another thread a few months ago are intentional - the company likes the lines because they make the restaurant seem desirable and the hot place to be.

The second, and proably bigger problem (and its not a problem for the restaurant, just when comparing it to top-level restaurants) is that the food is acceptable, but is not striving to be anymore than that. The entire concept of providing 200 menu items, across all spectrums of cuisine, at 60 something HUGE locations prohibits the type of cooking that would make a restaurant stand out.

That said, the food and atmosphere is better than what you would get at a chain place like Fridays or Applebee's but probably a notch below other, local chains like Clyde's or Rio Grande.

Bill Russell