• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barstuff/Liquor Collections, Paraphernalia

beans

This was inspired by my sipping coffee with the Queen of Domesticity haunting New Orleans antique shops for today's repeat program. She was sitting with a dapper gentleman who was showing off Absinthe glasses, spoons and carafes. Fabulous stuff.

Also, recently, I was going through and rearranging my cupboards to optimize storage. I fess up, I'm a pack rat! But I have found things I simply cannot part with! Some of my newest acquired coveted gems:

Cocktail glasses

-Architect designed yearly Bombay Sapphire offerings like these. Any of these are stunning.

-my anonized and lucite 1950's era partyware "disposables" in both red or turquoise/cobalt blue, corkscrew shaped stems

Cocktail Shakers

Oh, I love these. Bullet, "bubbled" or logoed. Bombay Sapphire have a recent bunch that are complete knock out beauties. I'm a sucker for anything cobalt. My fav at the moment is a 1920's/30's reproduction penguin shapped with an easy pour handle. It's beak unscrews to pour out your drink!

Wine Stuff

-I'm an avid collector of any Möet champagne buckets. My current prize is the double bottle anniversary commemorative "tub." It weighs a ton.

-Wine keys. I've got every shape and size. My fav, the lovely wood cased freebie from the kind folks of Jose Cuervo Añjeo with a teflon coated worm.

Other favourite logoed goodies: A Honey Brown nylon folding camping chair; my Absolute mini flashlight (great when locating an obscure beer in a dark club in the farthest corner of the beer bottle cooler); a Sam Adams die cut and rubber coated beer bottle opener; liquor pins (not buttons with that annoying eye blinding red blink -- the ones that are usually bottle shaped. Had a regular offer me $30 for a Jäger pin :smile: ) a Maker's Mark cigar cutter; a great Finlandia rubbermaid like garnish storage tray.

So what are your treasures? Vintage champagne or liquor advertising posters?

Being young and poor, I have to say that beermats make great collectibles. They're compact enough that you can fit a bunch of them in a basket; they make great conversation-starters among fellow beer lovers -- each one perhaps recalling a special pub experience or a terrific, rare beer. The best ones have funny and creative graphics or taglines, or they are of unusual shape. For example, a great Kwak beermat that is sized to fit the wooden stand holding the round-bottom glass that is the traditional serving glassware for that beer. Or the Delirium Nocturnum one with the dancing pink elephants.

Being young and poor, I have to say that beermats make great collectibles.  They're compact enough that you can fit a bunch of them in a basket; they make great conversation-starters among fellow beer lovers -- each one perhaps recalling a special pub experience or a terrific, rare beer.  The best ones have funny and creative graphics or taglines, or they are of unusual shape.  For example, a great Kwak beermat that is sized to fit the wooden stand holding the round-bottom glass that is the traditional serving glassware for that beer.  Or the Delirium Nocturnum one with the dancing pink elephants.

Hi gabe! Welcome to eG!

Those do make awesome collectibles. I want the one with the pink elephants! :laugh:

I saved a sleeve of them from when I worked in Alaska of my most favourite microbrew: Alaskan Brewing Company. Remember, the best of these are those collected items that were free! Being in the booze biz, the "kickback" promo items are great!

I saved a sleeve of them from when I worked in Alaska of my most favourite microbrew: Alaskan Brewing Company. Remember, the best of these are those collected items that were free! Being in the booze biz, the "kickback" promo items are great!

I have an Alaskan Brewing Co. beermat -- that's good beer. Not a lot of Alt style brews out there in the U.S. -- the Alaskan Amber is a fine example.

I worked as a lackey one summer at the Homer Brewing Company in Homer, Alaska -- washing and filling growlers, giving tours of our tiny brewhouse, drinkin' beer. Best job I ever had. And some of the best beer, too. The Homer Brewing Company beermat depicts the once-in-a-lifetime comet Hyakutake that shot over the Kenai Range across Kachemak Bay from Homer in 1996, when the brewery was started. It's a nice beermat.

And thanks for the welcome.

I have an Alaskan Brewing Co. beermat -- that's good beer. Not a lot of Alt style brews out there in the U.S. -- the Alaskan Amber is a fine example.

I worked as a lackey one summer at the Homer Brewing Company in Homer, Alaska -- washing and filling growlers, giving tours of our tiny brewhouse, drinkin' beer. Best job I ever had. And some of the best beer, too. The Homer Brewing Company beermat depicts the once-in-a-lifetime comet Hyakutake that shot over the Kenai Range across Kachemak Bay from Homer in 1996, when the brewery was started. It's a nice beermat.

And thanks for the welcome.

gabe:

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I've never tried, but often heard about Homer Brewing. For being a true Southeasterner, I am generally bound to loathing Anchorage!!! :shock::biggrin: I have fond memories of Alaska Air :angry: being late due to crew scheduing difficulties (one member forgot they were scheduled) and being stuck on standby for NWA (three days, in the December :angry:, during Christmas week) heading east because I missed my confirmed space seat on Northworst an hour prior to our landing at lovely Anchorage's worn torn airport! (met a few Russian only speaking folks only to enjoy a few smiles, great gesturing and pointing and choice chilled vodka shots!)

Yes, welcome. I get a warm fuzzy feeling with other Alaskan folk on these boards.... :smile:

most of my stuff is Maker's Mark related. As an ambassador & visiting them often I get a whole bunch of fun stuff fr/ them. I also get a lot as gifts since everyone knows I drink the stuff. (Sometimes I think I keep the state of Kentucky in business). Glassware, shot glasses, mixers, cigars, caps, humidor, more glassware, ties, pens, &c.

Working in the bar/restaurant business and for a while in the wine retail business I was always getting freebies. Most of it was junk but a few I do like. I gave all of my bar mirrors to a friend who collects beer memorabilia except for the huge Perrier-Jouet mirror that hangs in my dining room (truth be told it was the only one the Fuss would allow me to hang in the house ":^) ). I also have the greatest ashtray fr/ Smirnoff. It is relatively old--when was the last time some one gave away ash trays? It is not that great aesthetically but is large enough for a good stogie or two and that is why I appreciate it.

Also, I was given an early edition of "Old Mr. Boston Bar Book" that I still pull out just to see what has changed--like a couple of hundred gin based drinks, about 50 apricot liqueur based drinks, 25 or so sloe gin based drinks and NO vodka based cocktails.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Vintage art deco cobalt glass and chrome cocktail shaker with matching glasses.

Early 40's etched cocktail glasses with matching ice bucket (the pitcher broke, unfortunately).

50's martini pitcher and glasses made of smoked glass with chrome trim.

A set of virtually unusable, tall and skinny glass Irish coffee mugs with etched shamrocks (inherited from an uncle -- no idea how old or where they were made).

And my bar: Vintage late 50's; white formica top, black metal base with a mesh front; chrome foot rest; three barstools with triangular seats covered in white leather.