• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Passion for Dragonwagon

MatthewB

Crescent Dragonwagon's Passionate Vegetarian.

Now it seems that many posters on eGullet tend to dismiss "vegetarian" cookbooks.

Myself, I'm no vegetarian; however, this book has already paid for itself this summer. Wonderful recipes that are helping me take advantage of farmer's market produce & other freshness.

Anyone cooking from this? Thoughts? Comments?

What are some of the better things you've made from this book? Especially things with tomatoes and cucmbers.

I'll look & see what recipes look good that focus on tomatoes & cucumbers. (I've not done any with those yet.)

For instance, last night we did a simple salad w/ lettuce & cabbage and an outstanding basil vinegarette.

Also, memorable was a sugar pea & radish dish. Very simple & quick.

She's a definite deft for simplicity with outstanding flavors. (A contemporary American version of Elizabeth David? :wub: )

Ideas for using vine-ripe tomatoes happens to be the subject of both my August newsletter and the August 6 feature of my website. Here is one of them:

Mary Linda’s Tomato-Bread Cocktail

As a first course, salad or light meal:

About 2 hours before serving, peel, seed and dice one large tomato per serving. Dice one medium sweet (or red) onion for every four servings. Put these in a glass or china bowl. Add vegetable oil and red wine vinegar in a proportion of one part oil to two or three parts vinegar, freshly ground pepper and a generous quantity of salt. Chill.

Just before serving, taste. You may have to add more salt. Add finely chopped parsley, if desired, or some basil chiffonade—I like it without. When ready to serve, heat a crusty loaf of French or Italian bread or sourdough. Tear the bread into small pieces and place in serving bowls. Spoon the chilled tomatoes and their juices over, and serve immediately. Unbelievably good for such little effort.

Note: Olive oil is not used, because the chilling would solidify it. This dish bears some resemblance to panzanella, an Italian bread salad, although in the Italian version the bread is usually either soaked and squeezed or fried, then chilled with the tomatoes. It’s the combination of cold tomatoes and hot bread that make this dish so special.

www.ruthcooks.com

Edited by ruthcooks (log)

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Ideas for using vine-ripe tomatoes happens to be the subject of both my August newsletter and the August 6 feature of my website.  Here is one of them:

Mary Linda’s Tomato-Bread Cocktail

As a first course, salad or light meal:

About 2 hours before serving, peel, seed and dice one large tomato per serving.  Dice one medium sweet (or red) onion for every four servings.  Put these in a glass or china bowl.  Add vegetable oil and red wine vinegar in a proportion of one part oil to two or three parts vinegar, freshly ground pepper and a generous quantity of salt.  Chill.

Just before serving, taste.  You may have to add more salt.  Add finely chopped parsley, if desired, or some basil chiffonade—I like it without.  When ready to serve, heat a crusty loaf of French or Italian bread or sourdough. Tear the bread into small pieces and place in serving bowls.  Spoon the chilled tomatoes and their juices over, and serve immediately.  Unbelievably good for such little effort.

Note:  Olive oil is not used, because the chilling would solidify it.  This dish bears some resemblance to panzanella, an Italian bread salad, although in the Italian version the bread is usually either soaked and squeezed or fried, then chilled with the tomatoes.  It’s the combination of cold tomatoes and hot bread that make this dish so special.

www.ruthcooks.com

Thanks Ruth, that sounds great. Kind of like an unblended gazpacho, too.

What's the address of your website?