• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Massandra Wines

Lancelot

I am curious if anyone has any experience tasting wines from the Massandra Collection. These wines were initially made for the Czar's in Crimea and sold through Sothebys awhile ago. I was recently given a bottle of 1948 Lavadia Cabernet Tawny Port and a 750 ml bottle of Pink Muscat . I am not sure what to expect or what context in which to consume.

I could guess but experince tasting Eastern European dessert wine is very limited. Thanks

Edited by Lancelot (log)

If it's slower than me.

Dumber than me.

And tastes good.

Pass the salt.

Anthony Bourdain

I only had the regular stuff - the rest is too expensive for me.

The style reminds me of fortified wines à la Moscatel de Setubal, more on the candied fruit / spices part of the spectrum.

Very nice to enjoy on their own, but quite tough to match with food (the least bad match was with a tiramisu...).

I was fortunate to be given six bottles of various vintages and varietals some years ago just after Sothebys auctioned them off. Since then I have used them for special occasions and am down to a 1932 red port and a 1940 white muscat.

Both the white and the pink muscat from the '39 & '40's vintages have been remarkable. A flavor profile of a sauternes {in particular an older Lafaurie-Peyraguey, say a 1950} with a hint of Maderia. Complex, we have drunk them by them selves, as you might with a fine Port.

You are in for a treat. Sothebys may have the monograph that Serena Sutcliffe wrote on the history of the Masandra Collection on thier web site. Worth checking out