• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

classics of resturants in L.A.(no tourist joints)

larrymorman

:rolleyes: :raz:We're looking for food adventures in L.A., like that great little mexican resturant ran by somebodys mexican grandmother< or that 100 year old hot dog stand that never changed any of their recipes and still has lines around the corner. Can anybody help me or is there no culture in L.A. like there is in the east coast? :wacko: Edited by Fat Guy (log)

Sounds to me like you're talking about quintessential LA.

Most people would include:

Phillipe's the Original - 1001 N. Alameda St. (at Ord St.) original? french dip sandwich

Pink's Hot Dogs-709 N. La Brea Ave. (at Melrose Ave.)

Tommy's Original-first location 2575 W Beverly Blvd (at Rampart) LA is a burger town

Musso & Frank's-6667 Hollywood Blvd. (Highland Ave.) classic Hollywood

Langer's Deli-704 S. Alvarado St. (at 7th St.) my preferred pastrami. go during the day

Depending on your tastes, I would add:

Lawry's the Prime Rib- 100 N La Cienega (N of Wilshire) lots of tourists, but still an institution

someplace with a view: Geoffrey's, The Lobster, Malibu Seafood, etc

Guelaguetza-Oaxacan food

In-N-Out Burger

McDonald's in Brea/Downey is one of the oldest still in existence. They still deep fry the apple pies.

You might hear about El Tepeyac (also referred to as Manny's). People love it, but I don't recommend it. I'd also resist any urge to go to either location of the Ivy.

Good Luck!

~Tad

I would also like to add to that list, El Cholo on Western (it's the original). The green corn tamales are amazing. And on the mexican note, Gallegos on Venice Blvd. in Mar Vista is a fabulous mexican deli, it's been around for a long time. Off the mexican track, if you are in the mood for the perfect LA burger try Father's Office. :wub: They also have lots of good beer on tap and nice wines by the glass.

You may want to check on the California Board. There is an ongoing thread now about places to eat in LA.

I love the pastrami at Langer's but if you're looking for atmosphere go to Canter's late at night. The pastrami's not bad there either.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

#1 -- This got moved to the West/Southwest board. It needs to be moved again. This time to California.

#2 -- Wow, Scandia! I think my parents took me there for my 18th birthday, or was it 21st.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Dinos Burgers - Pico just west of Vermont. Although it is called dinos burgers all anyone eats there is the Chicken. Flame broiled and marinated, an LA insider place for sure. $5

Lares - Pico blvd in Santa Monica. Carnitas and good salsa! $15

Dukes - Sunset Blvd and La Cienaga (more or less). Breakfast or lunch in a coffee shop atmosphere with good food and lots of LAness. Rockstars abound. $12

Need more just ask

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/