• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Constipated shrimp

mrbigjas

Last night I bought a pound of shrimp from a local fish shop. They were deelish, but when I was cleaning them, next to and surrounding the usual "vein" on some of them was a much thicker line of greenish-yellow, uh, stuff. It had the consistency and was the color of... well, snot.

What was that stuff? I know the vein is just the digestive tract of the shrimp, and actually I've seen this goop before, but this time prompted me to try and find out what it was.

I have been known to get up close and personal with a lot of shrimp and I don't recall seeing what you describe. What kind of shrimp were they?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

This is what you will find on occasion in pregnent shrimp.It is only the roe,if you cook it it will turn orange just like a lobsters. No need to worry.

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Does that mean that after all of these years I have never met a pregnant shrimp? Weird.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've noticed the same thing only in the last month in 16-20 count (supposedly) Key West pink shrimp.

Whatever it is I've never seen this before and it is very unappealing. Over several purchases, it is in 15 or 16 out of 20 or so shrimp. So if it is that these shrimp are pregnant then these little devils have been very busy !

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

You should see it on a U-10 shrimp. It's almost the diameter of a pencil, and varies from that yucky yellow to a fluorescent orange that makes you wonder if they've been mating in the vicinity of a nuclear power plant.

Edited by Dave the Cook (log)

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Heh...for some reason, every time i read this thread title, the Ella Fitzgerald singing "Fascinatin' Rhythm" pops into my head.

Constipated shrimp,

You've got me on the go!

Constipated shrimp,

I'm all a-quiver...

Edited by zilla369 (log)

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

My husband is a very funny man -- that's why I married him -- and he can come up with things very quickly. One night, we were cleaning shrimp together and I mused, "I wonder what these shrimp ate that turned their vein blue?"

Without missing a beat, Wayne crooned (to the tune of "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes"):

"She asked me if I knew,

Why shrimp shit is blue?"

Nineteen years and the man still makes me laugh.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer