• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1999 Shafer Merlot Napa Valley

tjaehnigen

2/18/03

I had this tonight with those pan roasted pork chops I have been talking about the past few days. The pork chops turned out pretty good (juicy as hell) and I've been meaning to pull the cork on this for months to see what all the fuss was about.

This wine was really quite good.

I popped the cork and left it in the bottle for about a half an hour. Then, I splash decanted it and it sat there for about another 45 minutes to an hour before I took the first sip/wiff. I tasted over the next two and a half hours out of Spiegelau Bordeaux stems.

The nose on this wine was wonderful -- raspberry blossoms were shoved away quickly by violets and kirsch. This was a medium dark violet purple color. It had terriffic legs and it burst onto my tatsebuds as soon as I tasted it. This wine is pretty huge and well structured with a nice long finish. I got cherries, vanilla, traces of raspberry and currant followed by some nice herbaceous notes and peeled bark along with a tiny bit of toast. Some good mocha notes as well.

This is one delicious wine. I think I paid $35 for this in a mixed case last year. I'd certainly pick up more at that price.

I'd rate this a 91 on the TJ scale.