• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

Fascinating.  DiggingDogFarm, do you take the filter and gasket out and clean them too???

My everyday moka is the tiny one and it tastes great.  It is rinsed daily, but under no theory could it be considered clean.  

My larger aluminum moka pot is used infrequently -- less than 100 times in the 20+ years I've owned it -- and the coffee it produces has only ever been half-drinkable.  It's kept much cleaner since I'm not going to put away the pot with coffee residue in every crevice.  I totally thought the taste problem was that it was too clean!  

Hence my query about the stainless option -- I'm considering getting one because I thought it could manage to taste good clean, since I thought the point with the seasoning on the aluminum pot had something to do with the metal.  

SLB

SLB

Fascinating.  DiggingDogFarm, do you take the filter and gasket out and clean them too???

My everyday moka is the tiny one and it tastes great.  It is rinsed daily, but under no theory could it be considered clean.  

My larger aluminum moka pot is used infrequently -- less than 100 times in the 20+ years I've owned it -- and the coffee it produces has only ever been half-drinkable.  It's kept much cleaner since I'm not going to put away the pot with coffee residue in every crevice.  I totally thought the taste problem was that it was too clean!  

Hence my query about the stainless option -- I thought it could manage to taste good clean, since I thought the point with the seasoning on the aluminum pot had something to do with the metal.