• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fridge and wine

ctgm

Reading the Sauternes thread, go tme thinking about a conversation I had at lunch with my old boss. He pulled out a bottle of 1990 Gewurztraminer VT and he said that he hoped that it would be OK as it had been in the fridge for quite some time. The wine was fine but has anyone come across a problem with keeping a wine in a (normal) fridge for too long?

For your information I like my white wines (sweet and dry) to only visit the fridge for about 20 miuntes (from room temperature). The way to hide all the faults in a wine is to drink it cold.

ctgm-I'm with you on drinking my whites warmer, all the way up to room temperature for grand cru white burgundies and some sweet wines. Refrigerator storage should only retard the wine's maturation process, unless, of course, you have pungent smells in there that might find their way around the cork. The humidity could also be less than ideal, which could cause cork deterioration over time.

Bill Klapp

bklapp@egullet.com

I use a quick chill methodology -- I have one of those wine 'cooler collars' that I keep in the freezer. I pop th collar over the bottle for x minutes until the wine has chilled down as far as I'd like it to go and then I remove it. Gives me a lot of control and it works quickly.

I do enjoy having my whites only slightly chilled since they show their best at higher teperatures, especially the likes of a Kistler...