• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coming of age

Florida Jim

1992 Ravenswood, Pickberry:

(65% merlot, 30% cabernet sauvignon, 5% cabernet franc)

For the last decade, this has been an angry wine. Angular, hard and so tannic it was all but undrinkable. I began to think the good Mr. Peterson had made a bad one.

But of course, that’s why he gets the big money.

Today, this is a wonderful wine.

The nose has a powerful smokey, black fruit aroma that seems a little hard or closed but on the palate this wine is well resolved, integrated, complex, ripe and has the texture of worsted cloth. Some very fine but sweet tannins persist and the finish is long, balanced and fruit filled.

I decanted this off substantial sediment and left it open for about four hours before drinking.

One mighty fine bottle.

About $35, full retail at release.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

I have some '97 I'm waiting on. Do you have any experience with that vintage of Pickberry?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I think these 2 examples (92- hard & angular 99 accesible after barely a quarter of an hour) exemplify these change in Ca wine making over the last decade. I read somewhere recently that the average time elapsed between purchase and consumption of a bottle of wine was four hours. So in that context which makes more sense?

over it

I think these 2 examples (92- hard & angular 99 accesible after barely a quarter of an hour) exemplify these change in Ca wine making over the last decade. I read somewhere recently that the average time elapsed between purchase and consumption of a bottle of wine was four hours. So in that context which makes more sense?

And too, consider the new owners at Ravenswood. Joel may still be making, but he's not in charge of policy.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com