• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

With bruschetta with tomato, onion, garlic topping:

2001 Henri Bourgeois, Puilly-Fume:

Standard grade sauvignon with no lack of fruit or crisp. Very nice with the dish.

With grilled salmon (for the non-meat eaters) and grilled rib-eye steaks:

1998 Rochioli, Pinot Noir Estate:

Overwhelming oak on the nose and palate when opened; with air the wood dissipates and the sweet, somewhat simple fruit takes over. Nice length and good concentration, but nothing to write home about.

1994 La Mission Haut Brion:

Oaky,dill-ish nose with solid scents of the earth, ripe fruit and nice mineral scents; evolves on the palate to fine mineral, red-fruit, spice and earth tones with good concentration and balance, some very fine tannins; medium long finish. Pleasant, recognizable Bordeaux with a bit of time ahead of it.- good with the steak.

With sliced cheese:

1999 Guy Bernard, Cote-Rotie:

Wow! Terrific stuff on both the nose and palate with plenty of Northern Rhone character, solid red fruit and fine structure; endless flavors with balance only a ballerina knows. A spectacular showing – if this gets better with time, it will be hard to believe.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim,

You should have served the Cote Rotie with the steaks and the Bordeaux with the cheese. Why did you buy '94 La Mission, anyway?

Mark,

I was not in charge of the order of service (someone else's home) but the La Mission was quite good albeit a bit woody on the nose. I did not want to give the impression it was bad, just that I did not care for the oaky nose.

It was texturally lovely and delicious on the palate.

But to answer your question, because it was cheap and I have great faith in the producer in almost any vintage.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com