• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Two with dinner

Florida Jim

With a pasta dish that included collards, black olives, tomatoes, chick peas, green lentils, onions and garlic:

1994 Fisher, Lamb Vnyd. Cabernet Sauvignon:

straight-forward nose of red plum, dill/oak, light spice and a touch of black fruit/

full body, pretty well integrated, flavors follow the nose with a bit of complexity, concentrated, grippy, perhaps a little closed, good balance/

medium length, slightly tannic finish.

The truth is, this wine was simple and nothing special until drunk with the food – where it became delicious. A bite of food and a sip of wine; for me, it was the only way to drink this bottle.

This is the last vintage of this wine I bought ($50, retail at release) and, assuming it is still made in the same way, I can not imagine paying even that for it these days.

With cheese:

1999 Gilles-Robin, Crozes-Hermitage:

I have written favorably about this wine many times. Suffice it to say that I would trade all the Fisher cab. I have for a few more bottles of this. One of the most delicious wines in my cellar, every time. About $9, on sale.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com