• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NY NEWS: Aigo Arrives this Month

NY News Team

Aigo, a new Mediterranean restaurant, takes up residence on the Upper East Side this month. Chef Richard Farnabe traveled uptown after spending some time at Lotus and Mercer Kitchen. The 65-seat room was designed by Mico Sopic (Balthazar, Union Pacific, and Il Buco). Attire is “dressy casual.” I’m still not sure what that means. If the food and service are good, Aigo’s outdoor garden will be prized by Upper East Siders this summer.

---- Joseph Bavuso

Source: News Release from KB Network News, dated June, 2003

eGullet.com NY News Team

nynews@egullet.org with press releases, news reports, and food-biz gossip

Aigo (with two dots over the "i")

1608 First Ave. (83rd/84th)

212-327-4700

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The NY News Team arises from our call for volunteers last week. They'll be posting news items from a variety of sources, and they'll specify their sources unlike most newspapers and magazines. KB Network News is the name of a New York-based public relations firm that represents the restaurant in question, and has no connection to the NY News Team.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Nice. I mean nice work overall, but I have a suggestion or two. I have no problem publishing press releases, but could we identify them as press releases and not as news releases. Could we also better identify sources so we know they when they are PR firms and when they are news syndicates.

Richard Farnabe was with Daniel before he went to work with Jean-Georges at Jean Georges and then the Mercer. Before opening Aïgo, he was chef at Bruno Jamais' private club. The pastry chef is Greg Gourreau. Greg worked at Daniel a long time ago and has been pastry chef at The Dining Room at the Ritz-Carlton in San Francisco. None of this guarantees anything, but these guys know how to cook, so my expectations are high in terms of the food.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.