• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines with dinner and friends

Florida Jim

With green pea, spinach and carrot soup:

2001 F.X. Pichler, “M” Riesling:

No attempt at description, just this:

-despite having decades of life ahead of it, very ready to drink now (as contradictory as that sounds, it is true)

-if you have this wine, consider carefully when you will serve it because you will want to drink it all – every drop is precious

-without question, the most highly concentrated, viscous Riesling with the greatest volume in the mouth of any I have had, from anywhere

-immensely long finish

A good match but the soup needed a bit more body to compete. (Think about that a moment regarding the issue of concentration.)

With Cuban pulled pork with black beans and rice with fried plantains, or, grilled salmon with rice (for those averse to Cuban food):

1997 Chevillon, Vaucrains:

pretty good out of the bottle but losing density over time and turning just the least bit toward vinegar; many folks might not notice this turn but this wine needs to be drunk now;

and,

1993 Rockland, Petite Sirah:

although a one dimensional wine, a good solid one with lots of flavor and solid structure – enough to serve it well over several more years. Best with the pork but proving once again that petite sirah lasts but rarely develops.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Florida

My wife being Cuban means lots of Cuban style food in our house. Your wine choice of pinot based Nuits-St-George, Vaucrains is a great choice. I always drink a well aged William-Selyem Pinot Noir from California as a perfect match. My favorite combination is Mojo marinated pork tenderloin --Grilled, with balck beans and rice. The pinot seems to handle the lime juice of the mojo very well.

Viejo Majadero

The Best Kind of Wine is That Which is Most Pleasant to Him Who Drinks It. ---- Pliney The Elder

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,

Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --- Homer