• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prices plunge for Bordeaux

Craig Camp

I just purchased a case of futures of first growths Haut-Brion, Lafite and Mouton) for $100/bottle. I haven't seen them for so little since the early 90's. The reports I've heard are that while not 2000, it is still a very good year and generally better than 2001.

Edited by docsconz (log)

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I think that this is a slight exaggeration and if you compare prices to say the 1995 they are still quite a lot more expensive. The 1996 vintage went up 15% because the Franc "devalued" by 15%. The 1997 was a complete joke with the prices and taught the French a lesson. I can't remember what happened to the 1998 but think that it was a similar price to the 1997. The 1999 was a little more expensive as people needed to buy this to get their allocation of 2000, which was a complete joke price wise but I suppose it comes down to supply and demand. 2001 was again stupidly over-priced, so the 2002 coming down by 10-30% from the prices over the past 2 years really is quite meaningless.

I didn't participate in Bordeaux futures in 1995, but from what I can tell, first growths were selling for about $100 each, which is about $120 in today's dollars. So I wouldn't say that prices are a lot more expensive than 1995. Scroll down to the bottom of this article to see the 1995 futures prices for the first growths. All in all, I think 2002 seems to be priced quite fairly, as early reports seem to indicate it's going to be a pretty good vintage.