• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A great Rhone wine under $10

redwinegulper

I love great wine, but I get really excited when I find a bargin. Earlier this week I had a Perrin Reserve(same family of Ch Beaucastel) Cotes du Rhone '00 for $8.49/bottle. I normally prefer an Hermitage, Chat du Pape or a Croze Hermtage, and am usually unimpressed with Cotes du Rhones. Well I was pleasently surprised, this wine had good body and fruit, but I was blown away by the layers of flavors.

Ed McAniff

A Taster's Journey

This has been a consistently great value for years. Wonderful wine for everyday and very good with hamburgers! This raises the question again - why can't they make wine that tastes like this at this price in California?

I'm a big fan of the Perrin Reserve. The most recent vintage (2000?) is quite good, but the previous one was just spectacular I thought. If you like the Perrin, I think you'd also like the Louis Bernard which costs just a few dollars more.

Edit to add: The question about why California can't seem to produce comparable wine at that price is a good one. The only US wine I've found that I think is comparable in quality and price, though stylistically different, is the Snoqualmie Syrah produced here in Washington. Don't know how widely available it is though.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946