• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turley Sues Bryant Family Vineyards

Craig Camp

Is that $250k a year each? No wonder some of your (US) wines are so expensive if you are paying the winemaker that much!

ahh... but you are misinformed. Turley is not a mere winemaker, but a deity.

She is a badass diety with a shitty attitude and a list of burnt bridges longer than most peoples' resumes. She helped open Stag's Leap among other places. Sometimes she leaves on good terms, but quite a few times she gets into idiological squabbles with her keepers. I love that woman's soul. She's the James Dean of the wine world. Ruler of the Grape.

Edited by Chef/Writer Spencer (log)

OK she is a US wine diety and sits at the right hand of Bacchus.

I will confess to not knowing much about the production levels at Bryant but know that the CS makes about 1000 cases. I can't find any other wines that it makes but presumes that it must - can someone let me know, otherwise it means that the first $250 per case goes in winemaker's wages and that is before the proprietor gets his bit, as well as the costs involved in vineyard management and bottling etc.

If this is the case then it seems a little but uneconmic to employ someone (however good) at this level - afterall looking after 1000 cases is hardly a full time job!

Edited by ctgm (log)

Just found some info and that there is a production level of about 3000 cases (I am presuming that this is cases of 12 but stand to be corrected)

Therefore each case produced has $83 on it for the winemaker (which IMO is crazy)

Also the winery cost $9m, which spread over 10 years adds another $300 per case (which IMO is crazy)