• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fudge

Tell me that title isn't a great set up!

Ok, juvenile humor aside... I've had this craving for fudge the past week, but I'm really not sure where I should go to get some. I'm unfamiliar with candy shops such as Kritchley's (I think that's the name), but I expect those would be places that might have some different varieties of fudge. Can anyone confirm this?

I remember about 10 years ago there used to be a cart on the lower level of the Garden State Plaza that sold all different sorts of fudge and you could sample them all before you bought. I'm looking for something like that in and around North Jersey and Manhattan (but I might be willing to travel if there's something really stellar).

Come over to the house and try the stuff from those Brigittine monks. Its awesome.

http://www.brigittine.org/

Theres also a really good candy store by the Garden State Plaza, right off the 17 S exit ramp

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The best fudge in the world is made by the Toffee Shop in Penrith, Cumbria, UK.  So you either have to find an importer, or come here.  :biggrin:

v

Hmmmm.... would it be wrong to base a vacation around fudge? I'll keep the importer option in mind for now though, because I've already promised myself that my next overseas flight will be to Japan! :biggrin:

edit: Jason - I believe Kritchley's is the name of that place by Garden State... but I might be confusing it with the place on Kinderkamack Road.

Edited by 201 (log)

The best fudge in the world is made by the Toffee Shop in Penrith, Cumbria, UK.  So you either have to find an importer, or come here.  :biggrin:

v

Hmmmm.... would it be wrong to base a vacation around fudge? I'll keep the importer option in mind for now though, because I've already promised myself that my next overseas flight will be to Japan! :biggrin:

edit: Jason - I believe Kritchley's is the name of that place by Garden State... but I might be confusing it with the place on Kinderkamack Road.

If it helps, both the Fortnum & Mason brand and the Duchy Originals brand (Prince Charles' business) are made by the Penrith Toffee Shop - there is a chance these might be imported into New York top-end stores.

However, I do wonder if we are talking about the same thing on either side of the Atlantic with regard to fudge. Every reference to fudge I have ever found relating to the US involved chocolate. This is not the case in the UK.

v

...However, I do wonder if we are talking about the same thing on either side of the Atlantic with regard to fudge.  Every reference to fudge I have ever found relating to the US involved chocolate.  This is not the case in the UK...

It certainly doesn't have to be chocolate, but now that you mention it, that is probably the accepted American usage of the term. To me, fudge is more defined by the texture than the flavor components. Chocolate fudge is certainly good, but it's not the only sort I'm seeking.

Now, to find these New York top end stores... I guess it's time for a post over there too.

I think I remember a store that sells fudge in either Lambertville or New Hope (PA), just a short walk across the bridge over the Delaware River.

And if you were serious about being willing to travel far to get fudge, there was some seriously delicious fudge in assorted flavors in a place along the waterfront in Savannah, GA. :shock::smile:

Edited by rozrapp (log)