• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nothing to Eat?

Elissa

Have you ever noticed a dearth?

Seasonal cooking must make things difficult.

I like the place across from the bowling alley for striped bass. Also Tommy at the Cafe in Amagansett knows how to cook. Formerly of John's.

The Fish Farm in Amagansett at sunset Arcadian.

And of course the golf course cafe.

Usually I suffer with goods from the farm stands. The pink piggy perhaps the best?

Anyone been to the seafood place: is it Richard's?

Edited by phaelon56 (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

I used to write a monthly column for Hamptons Magazine . . . about restaurants in Manhattan. The opinion of the editors seemed to be that if you don't have anything nice to say, you shouldn't say anything at all.

Still, isn't Jerry Della Femina's place supposed to be good?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Places like Della Femina and Nick & Toni's are just not for the likes of us. They are each mindless Italianite restaurants that cater to the rich and famous, while merely tolerating (at best) the balance of their customers. I've had a place in East Hampton for 30 years, and I haven't been to either in years. Given the lack of dining options in the Hamptons, that really says something.

For what it's worth, I like both the Laundry and Peconic Coast. If either were in NYC, I would give them a pass, but here -- what can you do?

The best dining in the Hamptons remains, as it always has, at home. The produce from Round Swamp farm (and the stand in Wainscott Main St.) is fantastic (as is their fish). Meat from Dreesen's. Wine from Amagansett. Italian sausages and other delicacies from Italian Villa. In that regard, that Hamptons has NYC beat by a country mile. :smile:

Actually I like Della Femina very much. They have one of the best steaks in the extended metropolitan area that they dry age on the premises. Much of their other food is very good too. Mr's P. and I typically eat there once a week during the summer. Nick & Toni's used to be good 2-3 summers ago. But the quality of the food has deteriorated over the last two years. But it's still a fun place to have dinner at. None of the other places are very good, save for the steak at The Red Bar in Southampton which is also top notch. Peconic Coast went out of business last summer, and I haven't been to the Laundry for 10 years though people tell me it's good now so I have to try it.

Round Swamp Farm is a fabulous place. Though it's not close to where I live, Mrs. P and I often make the trip. But I heard that Villa Maria changed hands last year and the food isn't the same anymore. The fish and meat at Citarella, depending on the cut, are better then the same at Wainscott and Dreesen's. It pains me to say that because I'd like it not to be true, especially since I know Rudy at Dressens' for nearly 20 years, and you couldn't find a better person in the entire world, but unfortunately it is true. I live quite close to the Seafood Shop in Wainscott and I travel to East Hampton because the fish is typically better and fresher at Citarella.

Places like Della Femina and Nick & Toni's are just not for the likes of us. 

The produce from Round Swamp farm (and the stand in Wainscott Main St.) is fantastic (as is their fish). 

DF and NT's seem to offer service and food as rejoinder.

Amagansett wine over Franey's in Springs?

Round Swamp fish like that of a fishing village, but smells better. More fun too than Amag Farmer's Mkt.

Readymade Bonac BurgerS at the cash registers are good: Rolls with bacon and butter. :biggrin:

Do you have Moby Dick handy? Somewhere Ismael lists whale jellies and fats, their names and how one distinguishes between. Don't the Japanese eat whale? I'd like to propose a lighthouse restaurant in the hamptons that doesn't serve whale (!) but anything else Jinmyo might want to make. Stone basements full of wine. :smile:

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

• 3 years later...

Anyone have any Hamptons updates? We are heading there for New Year's weekend and may want to eat out one night (and/or lunches). Anywhere in Sag Harbor, Bridgehampton, East Hampton or environs would be helpful.

I assume a place like Duryea's in Montauk closes for the winter.

There's no reason to ever eat in the Hamptons - you're there to be seen not eat. In fact, eating is anti-social. It's like going to Staten Island to eat - silly and anti-climatical.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!