• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bittman's Minimalist Success or Failure...

dbrociner

I tried to make this easy sounding recipe for "sauteed chicken with parmesan crust" from yesterday's Minimalist column in the times. I followed the directions, even used panko instead of regular bread crumbs. Turned up the heat and after the prescribed amount of time I had beautiful looking chicken breasts that were absolutely raw on the inside. Put them back on the stovetop and smoked out the house before I could finish the chicken. Opened all the windows, turned the oven on 350 and 10 minutes later finally had dinner.

Anyone else have a problem with this recipe?

Obviously too thick for this recipe. :biggrin:

In the article Bittman makes a point that you should use a thicker chicken breast so as not to end up with something as dry as sawdust. I went to Whole Foods and had the butcher prepare a boneless breast with the skin still attached. I cut the breast in half and followed the directions. Clearly what I used was thicker than what Bittman had in mind. The reason for my post was, I thought I was doing exactly the right thing and ended up with a dreadful result. I wondered if anyone else had a similar experience.

I've been using this breading technique, fresh crumbs and freshly grated ParmaReg, for the past ten years. Thin slices, think scallopine, can be cooked quickly over high heat on the stove-top. Thick, unpounded or unsliced chicken breasts are better finished in the oven. I also think fresh bread crumbs work better than panko in this particular application. Although, panko does work better than that stuff in the round cardboard container.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

I tried this recipe the other night and would have to say I was disappointed. Made a few minor adjustments: ( I brine before cooking), added a little Bay seasoning to the bread crumbs and let set up in refrig for about an hour before cooking. Cooked to done after oil/butter was hot enough but end result was bland and cried for addition of some fresh herbs or a good sauce. Perhaps. as was mention in article, it makes an acceptable substitute for veal.

dave

I like to slice my breast halves into two thinner pieces, no pounding, makes for quicker cooking. Also, I usually add fresh rosemary or whatever is around to the crumb and cheese mixture. When they are done remove them and brown some butter spritzed with lemon juice in the pan to finish.

This is one of the two cooking methods I know of to make chicken breasts palatable.

PJ

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

Put them back on the stovetop and smoked out the house before I could finish the chicken. Opened all the windows, turned the oven on 350 and 10 minutes later finally had dinner.

Anyone else have a problem with this recipe?

I have had pretty good luck with the Minimalist. Usually if you take recipes as general guide lines and work around them they come out pretty good. I would give Mr.Bittaman benefit ot doubt in this case, since most of his recipes have been practical.

Fun

elyse, my stove doesn't get hot. It's electric. When it gets hot it blows a circuit breaker.

PJ

Sounds like you need to map your circuits. No one should stand for sub-standard stove operation.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I've had the same experience with Minimalist recipes -- they just don't seem to hit the mark or the spot. On the other hand, just about every recipe I've tried from How to Cook Everything has worked out well.

BTW, when I was at the gym last week I saw an episode of Emeril (essence of, I think) where he did the same chicken breast/bread crumbs/parmesan thing and it looked great. Or maybe I was just hungry :biggrin:. You may want to check out the food tv website for the recipe and compare.

almost all of the recipes i have used from _how to cook everything_ have been wonderful, those from the two minimalist books less so, and those from the NYT even less so. don't know why -- perhaps it's the challenge of being "minimalist" while coming up with something creative/new/interesting for the NYT readership. i think bitman has lots of good ideas and is impressive for an untrained chef; nonetheless i avoid his nyt columns.

just my $.02.

and those from the NYT even less so

While I, too, have had some less-than-perfect results from Bittman recipes, back in February The New York Times had a few articles/recipes from Bobby Flay. One recipe was for a New York Strip Steak with a Horseradish-Mint Glaze.

It was around Valentine's Day and the "gist" of the piece was that this guy cooks at home (too) for his girlfriend (Stephanie March, the very blonde prosecuter on one of the Law and Orders on television). The use of mint with steak is what caught my eye.

Dish was very good and very easy; a nice variation from the predictable. I've made it more than once and other than about tripling the amount of mint called for I made no changes.

Bob Sherwood

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher