• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ortanique - Washington DC Branch

vengroff

I've been wanting to visit Ortanique for a while. As everyone here knows, it's Malawry's current home away from home. I finally had the chance to visit today. Someone suggested Red Sage, and I countered firmly that we should head a few blocks over and give Ortanique a try.

I had the whole red snapper escovitch. It was the special fish of the day. If you happen to be there when it is the special again, I would absolutely recommend it. The whole fish is dipped in a light batter, curled so the head and tail nearly meet, then fried. It is served standing up on the plate, covered in a julienned vegetables and a very flavorful, medium hot and almost mustardy sauce. The batter was good and crispy--not at all greasy tasting; The fish itself was moist and tender, cooked just enough to make it easy to slide off the bones. The beans and rice that came with it didn't add a whole lot, in my opinion, but the fish, vegetables, and sauce were a marvelous combination.

I also had an avacado and citrus salad. The salad as a whole may have had just a bit too many things going on at once. However, when the rest was stripped away, the combination of the avacado, the liberal turn of fresh ground pepper that covered it, and a section of grapefruit really came together and worked for me.

Service was timely and attentive, but there was a bit of confusion at a couple of junctures as to which food went to which table. I chalk this up to the fact that we were sitting in the area that is, on most nights, the dance floor. Still, even if there are only tables there two nights a week, the numbering scheme should be well known to the staff.

The room itself is beautiful, with 20+ foot ceilings from which rich golden fraperies hang. The bar at the front has a large fishtank, closeup images of which are rebroadcast on a giant screen above it. The lamps next to the tables in our section were perhaps just a bit bright for the overall mood of the place. I look forward to going back again on a night when there is music, to see how the vibe of the place changes.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

• 1 year later...
The room itself is beautiful, with 20+ foot ceilings from which rich golden fraperies hang.  The bar at the front has a large fishtank, closeup images of which are rebroadcast on a giant screen above it.  The lamps next to the tables in our section were perhaps just a bit bright for the overall mood of the place.  I look forward to going back again on a night when there is music, to see how the vibe of the place changes.

It really is quite a space...although in some areas (stairway, other highly trafficked areas), it was looking a little threadbare.

I stopped in there for a drink, maybe a snack, and although I was impressed with the surroundings, I felt somehow uncomfortable. Could be that it was 80% empty (it was a Tuesday). Could be that I didn't like the singer's voice.

What do you all think? Is it worth trying again, perhaps on a Thursday or some other night when Ortanique might be livelier? What dishes are recommended?

I have eaten at the one in the Gables and loved it. And I have known Cindy for a while. I helped her with a cooking demo. Fun and fabulous food. Her mom and dad are a kick, also.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

The room itself is beautiful, with 20+ foot ceilings from which rich golden fraperies hang.  The bar at the front has a large fishtank, closeup images of which are rebroadcast on a giant screen above it.  The lamps next to the tables in our section were perhaps just a bit bright for the overall mood of the place.  I look forward to going back again on a night when there is music, to see how the vibe of the place changes.

It really is quite a space...although in some areas (stairway, other highly trafficked areas), it was looking a little threadbare.

I stopped in there for a drink, maybe a snack, and although I was impressed with the surroundings, I felt somehow uncomfortable. Could be that it was 80% empty (it was a Tuesday). Could be that I didn't like the singer's voice.

What do you all think? Is it worth trying again, perhaps on a Thursday or some other night when Ortanique might be livelier? What dishes are recommended?

Jenny: somewhere in this subforum I think I saw a comment that Ortanique was a place to go for drinks, but not necessarily to eat. I've done plenty of drinking there -- it's been fairly hopping by about 7 pm (can't remember what day(s) of the week) at the upstairs bar. Never sampled the food though.

Oh, J[esus]. You may be omnipotent, but you are SO naive!

- From the South Park Mexican Starring Frog from South Sri Lanka episode

How's the service these days? I last time I was there, more than a year ago, the service was dreadful. The wrong food came out (like three times), the timing sucked, the server had no clue, nor did he care...

I think the couple I was with finally decided to break up at that table; I don't even know who picked up the check, we so glad to get the hell out...

although I was impressed with the surroundings, I felt somehow uncomfortable.  Could be that it was 80% empty (it was a Tuesday).  Could be that I didn't like the singer's voice. 

Its funny you mention that. I was just getting ridiculed yesterday on that other site(that I just need to stop looking at altogether) for suggesting that a restaurant (or rather an Italian restaurant in the bar area of another, more famous Italian restaurant) was unappealing because it never had any customers.

I really do think that makes a big difference.

Of course it was suggested that maybe I should go to Chili's if I was looking for a crowd. (I do like a Boneless Buffalo Wing occasionaly).

Bill Russell

I (and by I, I mean my wife) have always enjoyed the food, but it can be a tough evening to enjoy. We must not have the right look, because we always end up with a table upstairs, or near the bar, and can never score a booth, even after asking. And last time we were there, we were entertained by the site of an incredibly intoxicated man at the bar, charming a woman who was obviously, shall we say, on the clock.

Save Pale Male <--- GO HERE!

I haven't returned for more than drinks since I stopped working there--and don't know who is serving there at this point, so I can't really suggest whose section to request. Ortanique tends to be a later-night kind of place, not many people go there for happy hour or early dinners but they pack it in after 8pm.

If you decide to eat there, I can heartily recommend the following:

All fish dishes, especially the tuna with wasabi and papaya sauces

Curried crab cakes

Whatever soup is on the menu--especially the guinea hen chowder and the tomato-lime soup

The flank steak salad on the lunch menu, with worcestershire vinaigrette

The foie gras, which comes with this addicting salad and bruleed oranges

Shrimp ceviche--if that's the ceviche of the day, comes with this wonderful tostone "sandwich" with guac in the center--doesn't suck at all

If you're at the bar and there's a chicken skewer or chicken wing type dish, this is also a sure bet--the sticky sorrel paint is addictive

Rum cake and bread pudding for dessert--though the pastry chef left shortly after I did and I don't know if they hired a replacement or just decided to wing it with whoever had time.