• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best San Diego Ethnic Eateries??

gulfporter

We will be in San Diego the last week of October.  

Looking for recommendations for the following ethnic restaurants which aren't available in our village in Mexico or (to some extent) in Tucson.  Doesn't have to be high-end or posh; holes in wall are fine too.  Want eat-in seating (no food trucks or delivery only).  

Gracias in advance!

Jamaican (goat in particular)

Afghani

Indian

Pakistani

Persian

Moroccan

New Mexican (ala Santa Fe; Hatch chilies and sopapillas a plus!)

Edited by gulfporter
typo (log)

That is a very specific list, @gulfporter! At least you are clear on what you are looking for.

San Diego is famous for its Mexican cuisine, but obviously you have plenty of that in your village, and also its vibrant Asian food scene (in Convoy neighborhood, see here).

Some of the cuisines you listed aren't especially common in SD but I will do my best to help, as long as you promise to share your impressions after your visit 😉.

• Jamaican (including goat): Rock Steady in Grant Hill (east of downtown)
  • Afghan and Persian cuisine: Khyber Pass in Hillcrest
  • Indian: the place I liked in Sorrento Valley changed hands during covid and I don't have a go-to at the moment. SD Magazine recommends the following: Bhojan Griha (critic's pick), Curry & More Indian Bistro (readers' pick), and Charminar (see here for more of their recommendations).
  • Moroccan: the only Moroccan place I am aware of is Medina which does Baja-Moroccan fusion and is quite good
  • New Mexican: Wolf in the Woods is excellent (reservations are a must)

All of the above are extremely casual, with the exception of the last one which is nice-casual :D (you'd be hard press to find anything that isn't casual in SD).

In addition, the linked thread has some recommendations that may work for you (most are older posts, but some of these restaurants are still around), so I recommend going through it. Also it's worth checking out Kirk's blog mmm-yoso which has a lot of ideas for hole-in-the-wall restaurants that you can filter by cuisine. Lastly, Eater has a few lists as well that can be helpful (see here, and here).

Enjoy your visit!

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@FrogPrincesse  Muchisimas Gracias!   We are looking forward to these places; the 23rd of October is our anniversary; and mi esposo's BD is the 26th and mine is the 27th.   

• Like 1