• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canned baby clams suck. Chopped sea clams are so much better.

FeChef

I usually buy either fresh clams or frozen clams and sea clam juice when i make linguine and clams. I bought a 28oz can of baby clams and the juice and the clams had literally no flavor at all. I am guessing they were farm raised or something, and le juice was just water and salt. Its good thing i had a tub of Minors Clam base, because it saved the dish.

/rant

I have only ever bought canned clams once in my life and regretted it. I wouldn't say they were tasteless but  what taste they had was deeply unpleasant.

I can't recall why I bought the damned things in the first place - must have been a massive brain fart! Every market and supermarket sells at least five and up to ten different types of live clams.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

Before we work on artificial intelligence, why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

I have only ever bought canned clams once in my life and regretted it. I wouldn't say they were tasteless but  what taste they had was deeply unpleasant.

I can't recall why I bought the damned things in the first place - must have been a massive brain fart! Every market and supermarket sells at least five and up to ten different types of live clams.

Against my better judgement the 28oz can of whole baby clams was like $5USD at my local restaurant depot. To be fair, they did not taste "unpleasant" But they tasted bland. I salvaged the dish with anchovies and added a few tsp of Minors clam base. 

I now know better then to use any canned clams that do not list "ocean" or "sea" clams for future reference.

Edited by FeChef (log)

Its no wonder this forum is a ghost town. Every thread gets sent to another forum section nobody reads. I didnt even get a notification my thread got moved. It just dissapeared. I had to hit back on my browser so i could see where my thread went. What a F'n joke this forum is.

Edited by FeChef (log)