• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fruit orchards in Capitol Reef, Utah: NPR article

Smithy

I haven't been to Capitol Reef, except to fly over it. I'll have to remedy that. The National Park says, on their website:

The orchards that lie within a mile or two of the visitor center are evident remnants of the pioneer community of Fruita, settled in 1880. Many varieties of heirloom fruit are found in Capitol Reef's historic orchards.

What got my attention about the orchards was this National Public Radio article about the orchards:

Heirloom fruit varieties could help in protecting against climate change

Speaking as someone who grew up with apricot and strawberry varieties that have all but died off in California, I am always pleased to learn about efforts to preserve or revive older fruit varieties. 

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown