• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7 hours ago, KennethT said:

The magic of Chongqing hot pot.

I've been through my Chinese language cookbooks for Chongqing/Sichuan cookbooks looking for sesame sauce.

Some suggest dipping sauces incorporating sesame oil, which is certainly not unusual. However that recipe seems to be suggesting some kind of commercially produced sauce - it says all sesame sauces are not the same, which is true, but all Chinese sesame oils are essentially the same.

The recipe seems to be advocating a factory made sauce like this. I've never seen those being used in hotpots in Chongqing or Sichuan. They are more like what is used with Japanese しゃぶしゃぶ (shabu-shabu) as ごまたれ (goma dare), made with sesame paste.

sesame-sauce.thumb.jpg.6f4c6ef7742e05faae768332efd2c8f5.jpg

Anyway I'd argue the 'soul' of those hotpots is definitely their mala flavour and sensation.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, KennethT said:

I've been through my Chinese language cookbooks for Chongqing/Sichuan cookbooks looking for sesame sauce.

Some suggest dipping sauces incorporating sesame oil, which is certainly not unusual. However that recipe seems to be suggesting some kind of commercially produced sauce - it says all sesame sauces are not the same, which is true, but all Chinese sesame oils are essentially the same.

The recipe seems to be advocating a factory made sauce like this. I've never seen those being used in hotpots in Chongqing or Sichuan. They are more like what is used with Japanese しゃぶしゃぶ (shabu-shabu) as 胡麻 (goma), made with sesame paste.

Anyway I'd argue the 'soul' of those hotpots is definitely their mala flavour and sensation.

liuzhou

liuzhou

The recipe seems to be advocating a factory made sauce like this. I've never seen those being used in hotpots in Chongqing or Sichuan. They are more like what is used in Japan as 胡麻 (goma), made with sesame paste.

liuzhou

liuzhou

The recipe seems to be advocating a factory made sauce like this. I've never seen those being used in hotpots in Chonqing or Sichuan.