• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Shel_B

Shel_B

Additional information

... and boy, am I glad I did.

Over the years I;ve purchased numerous brands of oregano, from commercial-supermarket oregano to oregano sold by spice shops, like Penzeys, etc.  None of those oreganos had the deep flavor and robust aroma of what I used tonight.  They are lifeless by comparison.

I bought a Calabrian oregano and a Sicilian-grown oregano.  They are similar, although the differences are subtle.  While I didn't cook a dish using these herbs, I mixed an equal amount into equal amounts of passata and warmed them both to the same temperature. It was hard for me to detect much difference, although the Sicilian seemed a skosh sweeter. More comparisons are needed.

One thing is clear, I will not go back to those other oreganos.  However, it would be interesting to compare these to similarly-packaged Greek oregano.

tuto.jpg.0253f2b4757cdd971495c53da77bafbf.jpg    filippone.jpg.cb0afd26593380a0572816bffe442696.jpg

Shel_B

Shel_B

... and boy, am I glad I did.

Over the years I;ve purchased numerous brands of oregano, from commercial-supermarket oregano to oregano sold by spice shops, like Penzeys, etc.  None of those oreganos had the deep flavor and robust aroma of what I used tonight.  They are lifeless by comparison.

I bought a Calabrian oregano and a Sicilian-grown oregano.  They are similar, although the differences are subtle.  While I didn't cook a dish using these herbs, I mixed an equal amount into equal amounts of passata and warmed them both to the same temperature. It was hard for me to detect much difference, although the Sicilian seemed a skosh sweeter. More comparisons are needed.

One thing is clear, I will not go back to those other oreganos.  

tuto.jpg.0253f2b4757cdd971495c53da77bafbf.jpg    filippone.jpg.cb0afd26593380a0572816bffe442696.jpg