• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Laurentius

Laurentius

Spelling

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

here is my question :

\whould these type of pans have be able to take on a polymerized coating of oil

that over time would have made them ' non-stick '

similar to a well care for DARTO or your Grandmothers cast iron

Similar, yes, yet different, too.  IME, tin linings do "season" in a way, but not to the extent carbon steel and cast iron do.  And the tin lags somewhat behind those in being truly nonstick.

What I've discovered is that cooking certain things in tinned copper help in this process.  #1 in my book is... popping popcorn.  #2 is making chicken stock or soup.  IMO, there is something about having the fats in the presence of steam or water vapor without browning that lays down some thin beneficial coating.  You know when you have it, because the lining gradually goes a very dark brown without being greasy.  Normal dish soap doesn't seem to affect it much.

Laurentius

Laurentius

6 hours ago, rotuts said:

here is my question :

\whould these type of pans have be able to take on a polymerized coating of oil

that over time would have made them ' non-stick '

similar to a well care for DARTO or your Grandmothers cast iron

Similar, yes, yet different, too.  IME, tin linings do "season" in a way, but not to the extent carbon steel and cast iron do.  And the tin lags somewhat behind those in being truly nonstick.

What I've discovered is that cooking certain things in tinned copper help in this process.  #1 in my book is... popping popcorn.  #2 is making chicken stock or soup.  IMO, there is something about having the fats in the presence of steam or water vapor without browning that lays down some thin beneficial coating.  You know when you have it, because the lining gragually goes a very dark brown without being greasy.  Normal dish soap doesn't seem to affect it much.