• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

On 2/28/2024 at 1:54 AM, AlaMoi said:

methinks the phobia needs to be sub-divided into

- things you can recognize

- things aka mystery meat/foods/dishes one cannot recognize

example:

haggis - not many people when presented with tableside sliced haggis would not know what they are served.

otoh

sweet breads - very deceptious name - but one can recognize "pieces of meat" on the plate

and then . . .

"sausage" - an infinite variety of "stuff" made into ''''sausage''''

or

"scrapple" - every one who makes it has a different "recipe"

or

"head cheese" - which is to 99.9% delicious, but you really don't want to know . . .

or

chitlins - again, very tasty.  don't ask . . .

personally I have fed my (young) children sauted fresh calf's liver with onions.  they thought it wonderful stuff,,,,, until they found out . . . .

which, after years, suddenly upends itself:  "Hi Dad!  heh, remember the xxxx you used to make....?  How do I cook that?"

I think the only thing I would outright reject is a menu item described as " . . . puffer fish...."

I'm really selective about ordering (meat)tartars, sushi, carpaccio

-broaderly cited - "raw anything"

the need for ultra-uber-top-notch-quality&freshness . . . rules.

gas station sushi . . . no blinking way . . .

Most of these are about the food; not the word, which is what I was asking about.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

example:

haggis - not many people when presented with tableside sliced haggis would not know what they are served.

otoh

sweet breads - very deceptious name - but one can recognize "pieces of meat" on the plate

and then . . .

or

or

"head cheese" - which is to 99.9% delicious, but you really don't want to know . . .

or

personally I have fed my (young) children sauted fresh calf's liver with onions.  they thought it wonderful stuff,,,,, until they found out . . . .

which, after years, suddenly upends itself:  "Hi Dad!  heh, remember the xxxx you used to make....?  How do I cook that?"

I think the only thing I would outright reject is a menu item described as " . . . puffer fish...."

Most of these are about the food; not the word, which is the point I was asking about.

liuzhou

liuzhou

6 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

example:

otoh

and then . . .

or

or

or

These are about the food; not the word, which is the point I was asking about.