• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

SLB

SLB

I have a love-hate relationship with the term "fatback". 

Honestly?  I have no idea whether this is even a term that is used outside of African-American dialect.  But I grew up with it, and was appalled at each and every utterance.  Which should not be confused with a rejection of its seasoning . . . .

Also?  "Poke" prompts terror.  This is not irrational though -- it's because, when poke became stylish in lower Manhattan, you would get served something perfectly described as "slop". 

**I have been to Hawaii, and had bona fide poke, which would never bring "slop" to mind.  I guess I am only terrorized by the term "poke" anywhere outside of Hawaii.  

SLB

SLB

Honestly?  I have no idea whether this is even a term that is used outside of African-American dialect.  But I grew up with it, and was appalled at each and every utterance.  Which should not be confused with a rejection of its seasoning . . . .

Also?  "Poke" prompts terror.  This is not irrational though -- it's because, when poke became stylish in lower Manhattan, you would get served something perfectly described as "slop".  **I have been to Hawaii, and had bona fide poke, which would never bring "slop" to mind.  I guess I mean the term "poke" anywhere outside of Hawaii.  

SLB

SLB

Honestly?  I have no idea whether this is even a term that is used outside of African-American dialect.  But I grew up with it, and was appalled at each and every utterance.  

Also?  "Poke" prompts terror.  This is not irrational though -- it's because, when poke became stylish in lower Manhattan, you would get served something perfectly described as "slop".  **I have been to Hawaii, and had bona fide poke, which would never bring "slop" to mind.  I guess I mean the term "poke" anywhere outside of Hawaii.