• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

3 hours ago, Tempest63 said:

Some people carefully ensure they are all found and removed prior to serving, and I have seen it suggested that whole spices can be tied up in a muslin bag before putting into the hot oil to make their removal easier.

That's a fairly standard method with hard whole spices in many cuisines. Alternatively you could use one of thee spice balls which would more allow the spices to be in contact with the oil.

O1CN01UQSlkQ24CdmVC5XH1___1947897355.jpg.aaf60c7544afbbfa4fd295571379387e.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

Some people carefully ensure they are all found and removed prior to serving, and I have seen it suggested that whole spices can be tied up in a muslin bag before putting into the hot oil to make their removal easier.

That's a fairly standard method with hard whole spices in many cuisines.

liuzhou

liuzhou

That's a fairly standard method with hardwhole spices in many cuisines.