• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

DesertTinker

DesertTinker

Added info

59 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I have three small measuring glasses that I found in antique stores.  The smallest one may be little smaller than a shot glass and the other two are not a lot bigger. Each measures have 4 teaspoons equal 1 Tablespoon.  Does anyone know if a teaspoon size at some time in the past changed from  4 to 3  or are/do these measurements have some other application?  

IMG_1051.jpg

Search “Australian tablespoon”. Apparently they use a different standard. From Wikipedia 

The Australian definition of the tablespoon as a unit of volume is:[11]

1 Australian tablespoon = 20 ml
    2 /3 fl oz
  = 2 dessertspoons,     1 dessertspoon= 10 ml each
  = 4 teaspoons, teaspoon =   5 ml each
DesertTinker

DesertTinker

Added info

56 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

I have three small measuring glasses that I found in antique stores.  The smallest one may be little smaller than a shot glass and the other two are not a lot bigger. Each measures have 4 teaspoons equal 1 Tablespoon.  Does anyone know if a teaspoon size at some time in the past changed from  4 to 3  or are/do these measurements have some other application?  

IMG_1051.jpg

Search “Australian tablespoon”. Apparently they use a different standard. From Wikipedia 

The Australian definition of the tablespoon as a unit of volume is:[11]

1 Australian tablespoon = 20 ml
    2 /3 fl oz
  = 2 dessertspoons,     1 dessertspoon= 10 ml each
  = 4 teaspoons, teaspoon =   5 ml each
DesertTinker

DesertTinker

50 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

IMG_1051.jpg

Search “Australian tablespoon”. Apparently they use a different standard.